Thread: Albatross

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Albatross

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... again a bird from Helgoland .
    And this is soooo special ... what I had been told back in 2015 . I am no birder at all .... so have no real knowledge , normally there is a fair amount of visitors on the island due to various reasons .
    But for seeing this single Albatros ... a lot of birders came to visit the island . I just more or less bumped into the bird ...... as I was going from the dune ( for the seals) to the cliffs ( for the birds ) back and forth . The dune is another little small island just a few hundred meters of Helgoland .
    Coming back for the evening shooting to the cliffs ..... I was wondering about the mass of people at the cliffs , lost of binocs and lost of lenses to see . Just asked some folks there .... they were looking at me and asking why I do not know ???!!!
    Most were here because of this single Albatros .... so I witnessed this sensation !!!!
    It was even on the local news and a film crew came as well ......

Sadly I have forgotten which species it is .... you folks might help yourself .

Canon EOS 1Dx
    EF 500 IS L
    Tripod

F 6,3 ; Iso 1600 ; 1/2500 sec ; man exp

Processed with Capture One 20 and PSCC 2020 ; with hindsight i would have been better of by moving a bit back to get more room at the foot of the image for the virtual feet . But due to the loads of people it was difficult to get a spot for shooting this rarity .

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The light sure was nice here. It also gives the image some nice depth. The background is spot on. I don't mind the framing.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Other than the tightness, I love the late side light treatment here. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure if the light or processing but you have no detail at all in the head feathers..
    maybe the species, I love the light and the bill is very sharp.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks for your kind comment , much appreciated .

Dan i smoothed out the head feather structure , thought it is a beauty retouch I was working on . Breast , eye and bill are sharp .... what does that mean ??

TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, nice image of a Albatros. I understand and can relate to photographing when a bird attracts crowds for a lifetime experience. I read in your comments that you smoothed out the feathers on the head, I guess I would like to see what the image looked like without that done. I also read your comments regarding the virtual feet, if the image quality held I might crop eliminating the feet more like a portrait. Wonderful experience, thank you for sharing.

P.S. You had better be careful you might become smitten by bird photography.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Joseph for your comment ....
    Just for clarification .... no smoothing of the head , it was meant ironic due to a comment above !!!
    It is natural feather structure

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I remember this moment on the news....Well captured Andreas. I really like the light on the feathers, a wee bit better HA would be nice.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Incredible find for the location. Albatrosses don't occur anywhere in the North Atlantic except as rare vagrants. This is a Black-browed, Yellow-nosed being the only other species recorded in Northern Europe.

I like the golden sidelighting; I think it makes for a very dramatic image. The blue behind is also very nice. These birds have very smooth facial feathers, and I think the image is representative of that. I've
    seen loads of these in New Zealand.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Will and Dorian for your kind comments , much appreciated .

Dorian thanks for the help with the ID ... now when you say that , I remember the species .

Just wondering that nobody mentioned that shadow on the RHS on the bird ... I find it really annoying , it is a shadow created by a gannet .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet light. Sidelight can be tricky to pull off, but you did it here with he face nicely splashed with hat light. I wish for a bit better head angle towards us, but the important thing is that the bill is clear of the body. Not a fan of the bottom part of the image, but that is what was presented to you. I can relate being stuck in a spot between hoards of people and the subject....