Hyenas enjoy a feast at Mara.
    1DX II
    500mm II
    1/2500
    f/7.1
    ISO 1600

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev .... a cool scene , glad you found them in the open , maybe easier in the Mara region .
    Comp does work well as does the overall tones , still some potential for more tonal variations and even more for color variations .
    Colors looking very even and flat .... due to " wrong WB " ... IMHO .
    Wondering how you choose and set the WB ???

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, I normally use AWB. Then in DPP either choose AWB white priority or ambience priority. Sometimes use the color temp slider or ink dropper to find RGB values 50, 50, 50 or near. But I must admit I keep struggling.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev ... why are you struggling ???? What are the problems ?? Do not get me wrong , as color is a very subjective thing for me .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see them all in the open. Detail looks pretty good.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice feeding trio here. Is that the left-over face (snout) of the prey we are seeing? Just enough flies to leave them in there. I do wish the individual to our right had a lively eye. I'm thinking some of the midtones could go a touch deeper - perhaps that is what Andreas is seeing (in part). In any case, neat scene you happened upon here.

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel. Yes it's the face of a wildebeest that we are seeing here. Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev, I have had a look at the file and I agree with you , it is not a terribly straightforward image to process. It is a good image and I feel worthwhile spending some time on. I think finding the most ideal colour temp and balance is key followed by close attention to the differing tones, also controlling luminance in the greens and oranges has a profound effect.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    , it is not a terribly straightforward image to process.
    Jon .... why do you feel it is not straightforward to process ? Into what kind of problems are you running , From your POV !!! This does go to Sanjeev , too .

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Sanjeev, a cracking fame, like the interaction and framing on this one. Is the FP on the centre pup? Tech's look OK, good SS for the action, maybe a tad more DoF, would it help, not sure, but the ISO is only 1600 and you have a MK2 in good light.

Agree with Andreas on WB and we have covered this old chestnut many times, based on the OP in a JPEG format WB -10, Tint -8 gives you this around the nose. You are then on a level playing field to take the image in whichever direction you wish too, with no casts. I also feel you re loosing some detail in the dark shadows, hence lose of sharpness too, but I think this was taken before you trying ETTR???? Get on board with this and you will find PP far easier.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

All I did was then take it into PS, added some Saturation, Colour balance and then a small hint of Midtown via Curves, NOT via Levels (gamma) and opened up a little bit of the Darks/Shadows. Not saying it's perfect, but perhaps something to ponder on maybe???? Note, done on laptop so there maybe some variation, just also noticed that LR on Export added some sharpening so disregard that.

13. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi all .... Steve has raised a good point ... not the first time folks . It does look easy .... doesn't it ??

Personally i am not sure about the colors in Steve´s version , but this is just my view . At least the RP has a lot more color variety , came to life and image does look cleaner . So he is just showing what is possible ... even if one is not 100 % going along with the colors .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Personally i am not sure about the colors in Steve´s version
    Hi Andreas, like all RP's we are making changes & correction to the OP which has 'variables' within it, unlike the Raw. RP to me are to aid a possible direction and or where the image can be improved. Remember I'm on a laptop that is NOT calibrated.

Sanjeev/Haseeb are there any specific points within DPP Andreas can shed more light on to help you gain more control in gaining a better WB starter?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Andreas, like all RP's we are making changes & correction to the OP which has 'variables' within it, unlike the Raw. RP to me are to aid a possible direction and or where the image can be improved. Remember I'm on a laptop that is NOT calibrated.
    Fully agree Steve !!!!! And I personally find it very difficult to " correct" other folks images ... even if being on my home machine .

And like I say always ... color is so subjective , so no issue for me . Just sharing my thoughts on your RP .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Sanjeev/Haseeb are there any specific points within DPP Andreas can shed more light on to help you gain more control in gaining a better WB starter?
    Steve .... nothing different in DPP , only thing is we do not have that gorgeous loupe thing that you have in LR . The problem in my eyes is , that a lot of folks use just the presets .... instead of eyedropper / temp slider and tint . And from there going to the HSL for further color changes .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- A nice encounter and framing as well. The colour issue is pretty obvious and had been well covered , worth reprocessing . A nice image nonetheless TFS !