Thread: Red-legged partridge

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-legged partridge

Attached Images Attached Images

Well, we are still being allowed to take some exercise and residing at our other 'bolt hole', I thought I would checkout the Little owl location and yes, he is around, but managed to bag this one as well.

Normally I wouldn't post anything without processing it back home and the MacBook Pro is crap for processing, so this is almost straight from camera, the only thing I have done is 'corrected' (so to speak) the WB, removed a grass highlight and applied some minimal sharpening and as Jon A has seen the raw I'm sure he could vouch that nothing more has been done. The files are clean, no need for any NR and for once, it locks on, the camera appears to be producing sharp images and the mirrorless is a joy, albeit no EVF.

So, one file from the EOS1-DX MKIII with minimal processing and I think I had switched to 'mirrorless' because these guys spook oh so easily, you normally can't get this close and being a 'game' bird is it surprising? It, came to me.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Red-legged partridge (Alectoris rufa)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1DX MKIII
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM
    Exposure: 1/800s at f/8 ISO1250
    Original format: Portrait, very slight crop from above
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2020

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject and, of course, there has been no use of any form of bait or other form of wildlife attractants (including vocalisations) in the capture of this image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve:
    Very attractive bird, like the red orbital feathers and bill. The background provides context without being distracting. The crop works well for his pose.

I do feel the image is just a bit flat as presented, and could benefit from a subtle increase in contrast. Just a tiny tweak of a curves layer perked it up nicely.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do feel the image is just a bit flat as presented, and could benefit from a subtle increase in contrast. Just a tiny tweak of a curves layer perked it up nicely.
    WOW, that was quick, thanks.

Yes it may well do, but as I stated, the image isn't 'processed' within my normal Workflow, as I'm away and both 'the surrounding & processing kit' leaves a lot to be desired, (as normally everything is done in darkness, no lights apart from the two monitors which offers the best results), however we are in 'unchartered' waters and so I thought I would just post anyway. Will review the file again, once back home, but that may not be for a while, thanks again.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks pretty good from where I'm sitting, colours look realistic details good, focus spot on. The bill and eyes, I think could not be better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Jon, will see when I'm back in the 'bat cave', but very much appreciated the input. Hope the garden is coming up trumps again, may have to camp out in ours if guidelines tighten!!! Goldcrests are staying tight in the conifers sadly!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the pose with that outstreched neck and the detail looks great. Framing is nice as well. I wanna see that MarkIII at some high ISOs. Macbook Pro's can't process images?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I wanna see that MarkIII at some high ISOs
    John, if its out of the stable of the MKII with upgrades then 6400-12,800 will be more than awesome, but there are only a few of us who push it, the majority all play safe.

Macbook Pro's can't process images?
    I've been with Apple since the mid 90's and IMHO, no way would I process an image for 'Production' output, especially with a folding screen, DT monitors are the way to go, just my take.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... good to hear that you still can go out and get the MK III going . No chance here in my area .... too many folks around and lot of local areas are closed due to Corona . Because people are ignoring the " social distancing " ... so police is around and checking .one can walk there but not rest ....

Image does look good for just " out of cam " .... nice one !!! Fine looking bird and great that this fellow came to you .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good look at this game bird. Looks OK for straight out of the camera.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Andreas & Bill.