Thread: Grizzly, young female

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grizzly, young female

Attached Images Attached Images

OK with Andreas posting some Grizzly's I thought I would delve way back into the archive, to a trip I did to Katmai on an old crabster, shadowing the shoreline as we sailed along this magnificent national Park.

Shooting at that time with the Canon 1D3, the MKIV had only just come out, so only having 10mpx, ISO was quite limited, likewise some of the technology we ALL take for granted nowadays. My biggest regret, to have the oppotuniay now with the advancement in both kit and software, but if I ever went back then one element I would request is to have Brad as the Bear guide, probably the best in the business now. Interesting to process some of the old files with new software and more knowledge in PP.

I will post some of these older files, more for fun, but also to have a look back and see if more can be done with them now. Perhaps not having billions of pixels isn't an asset, or required, unless you are cropping IMHO!

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Grizzly bear (f) (Ursus arctos horribilis)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D Mark III
    Lens: EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +1.4x HH
    Exposure: 1/500s at f/5.6 ISO400
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2020

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, I like the details and tonal range you have extracted here. The pose is nice albeit wish more space below for the virtual legs. Techs are reasonable but if it was now I am sure they would be different.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A really well processed image Steve, you certainly have some magic potion for the fur, it looks so silky. Details are good, theeye and nose really are well shown.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose is nice albeit wish more space below for the virtual legs
    Probably right Sanjeev and with hightsight I would now have framed it differently and shot a lot sooner to take into account the legs.

you certainly have some magic potion for the fur, it looks so silky.
    Cheers Jon, just my normal processing but with half the normal pixels it's come out OK, perhaps you don't need billions of pixels and 'smaller' is better, unless you are someone who likes to crop heavily.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... oh an really old one .
    The bear does have sleepy impression in his face ...LOL . Funny how they all differ in color and brightness in the fur .
    Image does look really good in terms of technical aspect , love the deep greens in the fore/background .... looking more attractive than the yellow hues .
    Agree with Sanjeev that the framing is not ideal .... needs more space , but you already commented back on that !!

Fun to go through old folders ... which I had taken that good frames in Alaska myself ... but I have just crappy stuff from that time .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bear almost looks like it is glowing. Well the fur anyway. Detail looks nice. Like the way the bear is looking out of the frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve I loved this one .

Lovely soft colours, nice fine details , and concept works , just needed a bit more space in the fg .

Still enjoyed viewing the image .

TFS !