Thread: Black-throated Diver, Gavia arctica

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black-throated Diver, Gavia arctica

Attached Images Attached Images

Indigirka Delta, Russia june 2019. Close to our cabin was a tundra lake. First it had no residents, but later on there was suddenly a couple of these birds present. The first time "we've met", the male started immediatly with a pretty impressive and intimidating display. First I did'nt realize what this was meant for, but soon I started to realize this had something to do with territorial behaviour. On my second visit, the same behaviour. After a small search I've found a nest on a little island, just 4 meters from the shore. Of course, after this discovery, I didn't go back to that corner of the lake anymore. This behaviour is called the " penguin dance".

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HELP. The original image is tack sharp, but as soon as I upload it, the quality goes down pretty strong. Image size is 1500 at the longer side. After resizing I do some sharpening and choose the highest quality possible (600 kb max ). Bit it doesn't look great!! Somebody a hint for me???? Thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a neat pose. Love the framing and all those water drops. My guess is that it's just from the compression on here. Maybe one of the mods will chime in and help out.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The penguin dance in loons is a distress behavior , and if it is directed at you, you need to leave the area ASAP. They will abandon nests if there is too much stress. Loons can become acclimated to humans, but it may take a long time, and if they are 'dancing' they aren't happy. If the dance is directed at another loon or predator, and you are an observer, no problem. Any photographer who spends time with the birds will eventually trigger a dance, myself included, but when it does occur, you need to give them space. They will usually calm down and go back to normal activities. You know they have accepted you when they swim close by their own choice. I have worked some individuals who will literally swim up to the side of the boat as if to say good morning, but it has taken hundreds of hours bobbing around with them for that to happen.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

5. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    The penguin dance in loons is a distress behavior , and if it is directed at you, you need to leave the area ASAP. They will abandon nests if there is too much stress. Loons can become acclimated to humans, but it may take a long time, and if they are 'dancing' they aren't happy. If the dance is directed at another loon or predator, and you are an observer, no problem. Any photographer who spends time with the birds will eventually trigger a dance, myself included, but when it does occur, you need to give them space. They will usually calm down and go back to normal activities. You know they have accepted you when they swim close by their own choice. I have worked some individuals who will literally swim up to the side of the boat as if to say good morning, but it has taken hundreds of hours bobbing around with them for that to happen.

Randy
    Exactly. So after my second visit and the find of the nest I did not return to the place.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hope someone can help because this looks like it would be amazing with a better quality compression. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You file must be a hair over 600KB. Try save for web in PS and make it 580KB
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jan: There is also a mild blue color cast on the bird,, easily corrected.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    You file must be a hair over 600KB. Try save for web in PS and make it 580KB
    Hello Arash, I'll use Capture one for the RAW image and resizing and a bit of "after sharpening" I'll do with simply Photoshop Elements. When I save the resized image, I can choose from different levels of quality. Most of the time it will be high (10) or 11 and 12(very high). There is nothing in between.
    I can resize the image much more, but that is not realy effecting the amount of KB's. I've tried this with other images. Tomorrow a second change, tried something.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jan: There is also a mild blue color cast on the bird,, easily corrected.

Randy
    I have to look more critical!! Tried something, tomorrow the upload.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jan van Holten View Post
    Hello Arash, I'll use Capture one for the RAW image and resizing and a bit of "after sharpening" I'll do with simply Photoshop Elements. When I save the resized image, I can choose from different levels of quality. Most of the time it will be high (10) or 11 and 12(very high). There is nothing in between.
    I can resize the image much more, but that is not realy effecting the amount of KB's. I've tried this with other images. Tomorrow a second change, tried something.
    Photoshop elements does not have save for web.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jan van Holten View Post
    I have to look more critical!! Tried something, tomorrow the upload.
    Okay, a new change. Hope this one will be better. Trying to find out what works best with the software I'll use.Name:  2019060428 4.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  575.5 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jan:

Cast well handled, looks better to my eye.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

15. Thanks Jan van Holten thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jan:

Cast well handled, looks better to my eye.

Randy
    Thanks. It's not easy to stay within the 600KB. Going to experiment a little more!!
    I've done some testing now with Photoshop Elements 2020. Getting the idea that this software is less good then the one of lets say 8 years ago. Resizing and sharpening brings down the quality clearly. More noise and a bad noise reduction tool. Dissapointing!!
    Photoshop is to expensive for what I'am doing with it.