Thread: Silver Gull - 1DX III

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Silver Gull - 1DX III

Attached Images Attached Images

Finally my 1DX Mark III arrived and it was a close call with COVID-19 threatening to close the store.
    This is one shot from my first 50 practicing on the first available targets - Seagulls.
    1DXIII 600 f4 III HH
    1/2500 f6.3 iso1600
    Manual
    As is straight from the camera via DPP4.12.10.2 and Sharpness 3.
    Nothing added or cloned, slight crop.

I used Zone AF and AF(1) Case 3 for starters.
    AF is certainly snappier than the Mark II, particularly over complex backgrounds.
    The bright bird made that easier so I will wait to how AF goes on a darker bird/dark BG.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I remember these guys from my 2010 visit to Australia. The red makes them a striking gull example. IQ here is marginal, so its difficult to judge the gear from it. Bird flying away is also
    tough, but I guess it's what you had on the first day out. Exposure looks about perfect.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am looking forward to hearing how you find the 1 DX3.
    Silver gulls are so pretty.
    Too bad the gull is flying away from us but nice and sharp and I like the ruffled feathers.
    Exposure looks good,
    Gail

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As an image and as Dorian said, the subject is flying away from you it's more of a test image than a critique for me.

I think Colin because of the overall colour palette AF should appear a lot better because of how AF works. In addition you are using a lot more of a selection to lock onto with Zone AF, Case 3 yes I can see it working with a constantly moving subject. Is this shooting at Fast or Medium fps? So far I've not experience any lock up or oil spots over the last 6 weeks, but early days and the 'critical' sharpness seems to be there on my version, no tweaking of the AFMA for me, but it still may go back to Canon when folk are back.

Purely for your own peace of mind Colin, there is some USM haloing and you have two Dust Bunnies, one is on the LHS a fraction below the wing tip and half way between trim & wing, the second is just above the RH wing tip.

Enjoy your new acquisition, it's a great bit of kit.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful gull. At least you can see the eye.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    As an image and as Dorian said, the subject is flying away from you it's more of a test image than a critique for me.

I think Colin because of the overall colour palette AF should appear a lot better because of how AF works. In addition you are using a lot more of a selection to lock onto with Zone AF, Case 3 yes I can see it working with a constantly moving subject. Is this shooting at Fast or Medium fps? So far I've not experience any lock up or oil spots over the last 6 weeks, but early days and the 'critical' sharpness seems to be there on my version, no tweaking of the AFMA for me, but it still may go back to Canon when folk are back.

Purely for your own peace of mind Colin, there is some USM haloing and you have two Dust Bunnies, one is on the LHS a fraction below the wing tip and half way between trim & wing, the second is just above the RH wing tip.

Enjoy your new acquisition, it's a great bit of kit.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, it was on 16 fps and no lockups so far. I read that Canon have confirmed lockups occur when the level is shown in the viewfinder and there is a firmware update coming for that.
    For the life of me I cannot see those dust bunnies! Also, I didn't apply any USM unless DPP4 uses it for their Sharpness tool.
    As for critical sharpness, the bird had fractionally moved off the nearest active FP- a failure of tracking on my part.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    I am looking forward to hearing how you find the 1 DX3.
    Silver gulls are so pretty.
    Too bad the gull is flying away from us but nice and sharp and I like the ruffled feathers.
    Exposure looks good,
    Gail
    Thanks Gail, I chose this shot to post because those ruffled feathers are set as stabilizers to slow the bird down as it was coming in to land.
    Something that wouldn't be seen in the preferred side on pose.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice exposure but the gull is soft and angled away from us, not a keeper in my book

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hey Colin, congrats on our new rig, wishing you the best. Love the gull, looking forward to more inflight shots...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Colin thanks for the reply.

Hopefully the attached will provide a clearer indication. Fingers crossed that the oil splatters are only a limited few bodies and not where some of the 'innardrs' need replacing like the mirror box on a previous model and where Blue dots indicated the updated models.

I didn't apply any USM unless DPP4 uses it for their Sharpness tool.
    But you do normally apply sharpening at the 'Output' stage, ie after your Post Production work and then finally cropping, ready for posting here???

Cheers
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Colin thanks for the reply.

Hopefully the attached will provide a clearer indication. Fingers crossed that the oil splatters are only a limited few bodies and not where some of the 'innardrs' need replacing like the mirror box on a previous model and where Blue dots indicated the updated models.

But you do normally apply sharpening at the 'Output' stage, ie after your Post Production work and then finally cropping, ready for posting here???

Cheers
    Steve
    Actually no Steve, I save for web straight out of PS and the 16-bit TIFF and don't do any more sharpening. Maybe this is another learning experience for me?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin, every time you create an ‘output’ file/image whether it’s web, print, (publications tend to do their own so you supply an unsharpened file), you must apply ‘perceptual’ sharpening ie sharpening that looks/appears right. All digital files require sharpening and the amount will vary subject to the Raw.

Basically you have your Raw that you have worked on, then output as a 16 bit Tiff which you then further work on too, which becomes your Master file with all layers, never flatten! From this, you always then crop from and Save As, in this way you save your Master file. From this ‘new’ file you apply your sharpening and Export - Save for Web (legacy) via PS2020.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh, great thanks Steve I'll give it a shot.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colin, I have written so much on this for a lot of the Wildlife folk, but if you need help or clarification then just PM me. Not sure if I have the email with me as I’m away, albeit hunkering down like everyone else, but if need be, I hopefully can get it back As it would save re writing it, with respective screen grabs. I hope you use PS?