Thread: Capped Langur !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Capped Langur !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone, thank you for all your comments and suggestions to my previous post as always much appreciated.

One of my top priorities on my last trip was this specie, the Capped Langur. A more handsome looking specie of Langur and very distinct from the common langur or the Hanuman langur. Found them in the open at good levels in early day time , else they are in canopies and difficult to photograph.

DPP 4.12, PSCC 2020, WB, curves, levels, selective colour, clones some unwanted twigs near its tail , cropped slightly from top and bottom and from the rhs as well, sharpening.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 500mm f4 IS II, Bean Bag.

ss 1/1250, f/5.6, iso 2500.

Looking forward all your comments and suggestions, be it of any nature.

Haseeb.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, a wonderful portrait of this unique species which I have not seen yet. Love the eyes, the colours an the clean BG. The vertical works well here and those dried hanging creepers add to the scene. Nicely done with good eye level shot. TFS.

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb ... a nice and solid wide portrait shot .
    Glad you have found him in this nice setting and I think not easy to get them at eye level . Super isolated from BG .... just the big tree stump not ideal .... bet you see it the same way .
    Not sure how the RAW is looking , just think the image is missing the really fine detail/sharpness in this whispy looking fur . Wonder what other critical folks think and see ... or not see .
    Colors looking quite nice , but somehow a bit flat . Likewise the tones .... I would play a bit more with the range in parts .

Great to see a new species ... and you seemed to have a good time on that trip .

TFS Andreas

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Doc and Andreas , your comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

@ Andreas -- I liked your suggestion reg that tree stump , it should go and the creepers make the frame look much better without the stump. Also, i have tried to get those very fine details by reducing some contrast and also added a bit colour in the frame excluding the subject . WDYT ?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking better IMHO ....

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, great to see another new species and I like the overall colour palette.

Personally I might have just remove the tree, but adding a Midtone Curves adjustment and some USM you start to see more in the face/overall, just my take...

TFS
    Steve

PS Tail looks a bit odd, as if it's been cloned in parts????

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

@ Steve : thanks for the suggestions and the RP .

I have mentioned abt cloning of creepers running across the tail .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb ... thanx for the file , here is my version . Left the distracting stuff in the frame .

WDYT ?

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb ... thanx for the file , here is my version . Left the distracting stuff in the frame .
    If you did the RP via DPP & PS which I hope you have, as Haseeb uses both, it would be helpful to add some of the basic steps so he can try at home Andreas.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Email exchanges between Andreas and Me reg the above image:

Haseeb's Email:

Hi Andreas,Many thanks for your RP.
    For colours and tones , I think I am more inclined towards my RP , just a matter of taste .

But definitely your version has some more finer details ( a minor difference from my post but one can notice it. ) Sharpness is an improvement.

Where can I make improvement in my PP technique to improve upon my results ? ETTR and neutral PS has definitely helped me in getting better results this time around , that's what I feel. Will come to know as per suggestions and feedback on BPN .

Andreas Email:

No problem Haseeb .... I am glad to show what is possible , even if the file is not 100 % sharp . I hope you recognized it yourself ???!!

Not sure what you can change in your workflow as I do not know your WF .... apart from the settings you use in DPP which I can see when opening the file in DPP !!!

Too many variables and for sure all images are different , asking for a slightly different approach !!

Regards Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb, I like the image, I think it would be a great exercise for me to process the raw file my way too if that is ok with you. I see all the pics and I don't dislike any , I am just curious to see what I could make of it, would you mind sending the raw file to me?

Thanks Haseeb, I really found this to be an interesting file to process, I am going to post without reference to the previous images, I hope it stands up!! (I have deleted your raw file from my PC).
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 03-28-2020 at 07:34 AM.

14. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really enjoyed looking at all these reposts. I like Andreas the most. Nice exchange on info as well. I do like the image and the view of that long tail.

16. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What agreat looking species this is. Amazing eyes. I love the setting, just not so much the faint oof white streaks in the BG (that is the "clean BG bird photographer" in me speaking), but I would be so happy ending up with this in my files! I too enjoyed seeing the reposts and the personal touches of each poster.

18. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone.

@ Jon -- appreciate your RP and like Andreas RP, your colours and tones are more the same, so i stick with my RP in that area. you have also managed some nice finer details as compared to mine, so something power upon, appreciated.