Thread: Review Wimberley MH-100 MonoGimbal Head

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Review Wimberley MH-100 MonoGimbal Head

Attached Images Attached Images

Those who view my images may have noticed that I use a monopod to support my camera. There are two main reasons I do that. First, I have difficulty holding the camera steady for long periods of time, age and a neuro-muscular disease contribute. Second, with the monopod supporting the weight of the camera I can hold the focus point exactly where I want for long periods of time.

Over the years of monopod use I have tried various heads. I used a ball head for a time finding that when the clamp was loosened it was very floppy and not suitable for my use on a monopod. Then I used a tilt head. Less floppy than a ball head because the camera and lens could only move up and down in the vertical position. If the clamp loosened unexpectedly the camera and lens would slam down sometimes pinching a finger or hitting the monopod head. Although better than a ball head not really acceptable so the clamp stayed locked down most of the time.

I recently acquired a Wimberly MH-100 MonoGimbal head for my monopod. Build quality is excellent as expected from the Wimberly brand. I use this head opposite to the photo shown with the camera and lens, my camera and lens is mounted on the right side of the monopod (see images above). At first I thought the offset camera and lens position would be a problem but after a short while it worked well. In use the offset position allows the lens to angle down without hitting the monopod and head. While the build quality is top shelf and the head is comfortable to use the best feature is that this head enables the camera and lens to be balanced the same as on a gimbal head on a tripod. After mounting the camera and lens the knob on the dove-tail clamp should be loosened and the large knob loosened so that the camera and lens can be slid in the clamp to find the balance point. Once that balance point is found the lens and camera will balance. This point should be noted/marked to make the setup easier next time. On the tripod collar I have on my lens there are two allen set screws that line up with the camera end of the dove-tail, I use those each time to align the camera and lens for the balance point.

That the camera and lens balance is wonderful is use, with the large clamp loosened the camera and lens balances on the monopod, the camera, lens and momopod can be picked up and moved short distances without having to clamp it down. Sometimes just a couple inches right or left will give the best light angle or vantage point. When traveling longer distances the camera and attached lens can be locked down and carried along the side or resting on the shoulder.

To fully appreciate what this gimbal head offers a sturdy, smooth operating tripod collar is required. I have changed my Nikon tripod collar for another. The monopod pivoting on its base in a horizontal plane, the gimbal head pivoting in a vertical plane and the loosened tripod collar to enable holding the camera level allows panning with a subject. I have used this rig sitting on the shore of a local lake photographing swimming ducks with great success, keeping the focus point on the head and eye of the duck.

My monopod head search has ended, this head is the solution to my search.

Further information regarding the Wimberly MH-100 MonoGimbal head can be found at the link: https://www.tripodhead.com/products/...dhead-main.cfm

Some of my images can be viewed on my website: https://amazinglight.smugmug.com/
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com