Thread: Florida Burrowing Owl

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Florida Burrowing Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

Same owl as my previous post. I moved closer for a tighter image. I had to balance between going lower so the shadows on the eyes would be minimal while staying high enough so the feet would show. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, Oben CTM-2500 carbon fiber monopod, Wimberly MH-100 MonoGimbal Head, Kirk Tripod Collar
    1/1250 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 140 WB set with eyedropper, image captured at 400mm
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2020 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped the vertical image slightly for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 03-23-2020 at 02:36 PM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, I like the very central POV and colour looks good. Being on a monopod and at such a low ISO I think you could have afforded to just go to 200 or 400 just for a faster SS to avoid any shake, with no harm to IQ. Although the light looks bright, the eyes appear good and quite natural with the depth of colour, not 'pushed' IMHO. May be being a fraction higher to have seen the talons may have helped? I think it could do with a fraction of a CCW rotation, easy in LR, but use the vertical of the LHS of the post and perhaps a little sliver off the foot, WDYT? Personally I might have been tempted to blow some colour over the brighter parts of the grasses just to tone them back. Reducing the Blue makes some of the chest and plumage caught in the wind better in colour.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it very much I get the impression there is a slight blue cast particularly in the feathers standing proud on the LHS of the image., other than that I think it is very good indeed. The angle from which the image was taken looks good to me.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loved both of these images, Joseph. The first one a little better because of the flowers on bottom and better separation from the twigs on the left (which I love in the BG). Both work well with hand of man elements. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joseph,
    I like both images too. If it were mine, i'd crop to just above the barbed wire on the left. Other than that I love the detail and those eyes! I do see a slight blue cast too.

8. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, I like the very central POV and colour looks good. Being on a monopod and at such a low ISO I think you could have afforded to just go to 200 or 400 just for a faster SS to avoid any shake, with no harm to IQ. Although the light looks bright, the eyes appear good and quite natural with the depth of colour, not 'pushed' IMHO. May be being a fraction higher to have seen the talons may have helped? I think it could do with a fraction of a CCW rotation, easy in LR, but use the vertical of the LHS of the post and perhaps a little sliver off the foot, WDYT? Personally I might have been tempted to blow some colour over the brighter parts of the grasses just to tone them back. Reducing the Blue makes some of the chest and plumage caught in the wind better in colour.

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve, thank you for viewing and commenting. I had not noticed the bluish cast to the wind blown feathers till reading your comments. After reading and looking at the image I knew when the bluish cast entered, I had pushed up the vibrance which seems to target blues and greens the most. I set the vibrance back to zero and lowered the blue saturation. Here is a repost.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    Hi Joseph,
    I like both images too. If it were mine, i'd crop to just above the barbed wire on the left. Other than that I love the detail and those eyes! I do see a slight blue cast too.
    Hi Paul, thank you for viewing and commenting. I did a quick edit to crop as you suggested. This post reflects your suggestion. A couple thoughts why I did not do this in the other images posted. To me this image just becomes a bird on a post, the owl is shown larger but because of the large crop the image quality has declined. Also, in most images when possible I try to tell a story, show what the bird is doing etc.. In the other images I posted the bird is on a post part of a fence surrounding a pasture. They also show that it is the time of the year when the wild flowers are blooming. I also think that showing more of the post shows how tiny the owl is in relation to the height of the post. What I regret is that because of the light angle I could not get square to the barbed wire making the wire on the left side of the image out of focus, I would have liked both sides of the wire to be in focus. Thanks again for commenting, much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, pane 6 for me, the other is just way too tight. I also agree that it illustrates 'scale' compared to the tighter crop and shows habitat.

I had pushed up the vibrance which seems to target blues and greens the most.
    Not noticed that before Joe, for me its more Yellow, plus Saturation only targets the top 50%.

Just be mindful of any adjustment, as its either Global, or targeted ie via Layes, Masks & Blend modes, so just step back for a moment and always think - 'what is it I'm trying to achieve and what is the best route?'

12. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    plus Saturation only targets the top 50%.
    Hi Steve, not sure what you mean by the top 50%
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

From 50% to 100%, that is all that Saturation affects, nothing below, it’s only the top 50%.

15. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Light looks like it was getting high. But you handled it very well. Framing works as is for me. Love that color in the bottom of the background.

17. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, very much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla