Thread: Young Leopard

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Young Leopard

Attached Images Attached Images

Like so many of us, under this current enforced confinement, does make you look back at old files and as Haseeb said, lets use this time to good use and where possible keep processing & posting, it's a great opportunity.

The angle is steep, but this young male leopard came up close to the vehicle, fortunately the grasses are not over the eyes. Yes, the SS is a tad slow, but 'braced' into a good position/support with the right 'cases' too you can do it.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Young Leopard (Panthera pardus)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
    Lens: EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM USM HH
    Exposure: 1/250s at f/5.6 ISO1600
    Original format: Portrait, very slight crop
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2020

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's a curious think i first looked ta this image and thought wow too bright, I then reflected, I had just been processing a predominantly dark image so I waited a minute or so and looked again, sure enough it was fine! The right leg has a curious effect of leading my eyes into the leopards eyes, I think this is a strong image. The DOF looks good too.
    The shutter speed may have been comparatively slow but the eyelashes and whiskers, eyes and nose look good, so I wouldn't have been concerned if it was mine.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 03-19-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like this frames like this where the animal matches the colors of the surrounding or the background. Nice pose and framing. Detail looks great.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- A nice Leopard image here , especially in terms of colours, details and processing. Not an ideal angle, but these cats sometime really come close , so I feel you have done a good job in framing the way you have framed. Grass is not an issue and I most of the time like their presence around the animals. Techs are borderline , why such a low ISO ? Did the Leopard suddenly came closer , 1/250 for a swift moving cat is a close call.

Nice image though, TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry folks, not getting any notifications so I never know if anyone has posted on other threads or my own!!!!!

Haseeb, it was in the early days with the MKI and kept things low, but the young leopard was moving incredibly slowly whilst in stalking mode... but with all the years under my belt with the 1DX's there is now a lot more I can do within terms of settings etc and having the confidence with what the camera delivers in terms of files. As I always said, the more you use your camera, the more in-tune you become and now when to push & back off.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well said Steve , I totally agree.

And no notifications for me either, since that outage.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, I like leopards so good to see one posted. The angle is not ideal as already mentioned but good details and colours. Agree the SS could be higher.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you dear Steve,

Or rather 'good night', just looked at the time and it's well past midnight, in fact it's 1 am Well, in rural SA one has to be 'on the ball' these days, you never know when Internet comes and goes...Luckily it's Sunday tomorrow so I can afford to stay up late

Love leopards and especially images of them blending so well with the environment, they are skilled stalkers and often get very close to their victims before they pounce. They are not so easy to detect...unlike other predators...spending most of their 'spare time' up in a tree and also grooming a lot... so they are clean cats...one cannot really 'smell them' LOL.

Your framing is great here, and I personally like the POV. Love the gaze, concentration, head down, eyes searching - makes me wonder what was he looking for, maybe not stalking but following the scent of another leopard? Perhaps a female?

I know you're not afraid at all to push ISO, so this must be quite an old image? Nevertheless, it's nice and sharp where needed and colours look great, those eyes are mesmerising, nice detail on the face. PP work is great.
    Viewing this image I realise how much I miss being 'out there in the wilderness'. Sincerely hope life returns to normal soon...for all of us. Never took for granted the privileges and opportunities I had (and still have) to be 'one with Nature' but now I appreciate things even more. Thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... technically well done and great to see a leopard !!
    As you have posted far better ones ... I do compare .... and say it is ok as an image , but not more than ok .
    Due to the steep shooting angle , it does look a bit unfortunate and the thick grass stems across the face are not really good , IMHO , and killing the shot for me .

TFS Andreas