Thread: Another frog

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Another frog

Attached Images Attached Images

It was difficult to isolate a frog there was a great deal of activity, eventually I managed to get this happy chappie, I rather liked the bubbles and his reflection.

Hand held

Olympus : E-M1X
    Lens focal length : 420 mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 841.0mm
    Metering mode : Pattern
    Shutter speed : 1/500 sec
    Aperture : F8
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO: 500
    Exposure bias : -1.7 EV
    Flash : OFF

ACR + PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon, you did quite well to isolate him and I quite like the angle too.

Personally I might have cleaned up some of the little blobs & blotches, removed the blue and tried to bring some richness back in, albeit I wasn't there so it is very much 'artistic' licence. I also feel it needs some more USM to get some more clarity and detail back in to the subject. I'm still to be convinced on the slow SS and 5 stop IS, but pushing the ISO may not be a choice????

Just my take...

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi jon ... a neat little froggie !!!

All works well for me , well done .

Steve has slightly improved things , but actually not really necessary I think . Depending on the individual frog ... the blues should actually stay .

TFS Andreas

Luckily Rachel is not any longer on duty ... as I been told , when posted a fire salamander , no small animals to be posted here . Needs to be posted in macro forum , even if being photographed with a long glass !!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A neat looking frog with some nice reflection and eye contact. I really liked the RP by Steve and it looks better I think.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jon, you did quite well to isolate him and I quite like the angle too.

Personally I might have cleaned up some of the little blobs & blotches, removed the blue and tried to bring some richness back in, albeit I wasn't there so it is very much 'artistic' licence. I also feel it needs some more USM to get some more clarity and detail back in to the subject. I'm still to be convinced on the slow SS and 5 stop IS, but pushing the ISO may not be a choice????

Just my take...

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks for the repost, I like it. It looks sharp enough to me! You have livened up the pod a bit too.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the repost, I like it. It looks sharp enough to me! You have livened up the pod a bit too.
    I just thought Jon that perhaps this needed to move away from 'recollection' , perhaps you need to set-up like the Water Rail for something different with lights?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    I just thought Jon that perhaps this needed to move away from 'recollection' , perhaps you need to set-up like the Water Rail for something different with lights?
    Quite honestly the thought never occurred to me.... and I don't have studio lights. I was on the scene too late anyway, by the time I had taken these the spawning had finished the following morning.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of this frog. I like the reflection and that green water. Sure says spring.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon -- I prefer this one than your previous post, nice details and colours, that eye is quite amazing to see. nicely isolated and I feel something between Steve's RP and your OP in terms of USM would be better . Colours are subjective and you are there so I think your OP is also pretty good .

Nice image, enjoyed viewing it.

TFS !

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, this is so cute! Love it! Love the surroundings too, the vegetation under the water, and of course the bubbles and water ripples - very well seen and captured!

Steve's RP works well for me It has the right amount of sharpness and a tad of warmth that makes the scene even more attractive. Yes I know, the blues were probably there on this happy chappy at that late hour...But if this were mine I would also remove them.

Looks like you don't have to travel far to get new images So I hope to see more from you. My pond is frogless these days...I think the fish might have eaten all the tadpoles.

Are you thinking of coming back to SA sometime? I am off to Kruger in September...hopefully

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea