Thread: One-Horned Indian Rhino !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default One-Horned Indian Rhino !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone. Thank you for all your comments and suggestions to my previous post, as always much appreciated.

Well, I had been travelling to North east India for the One horned Rhino, to some of the least visited areas by tourists and the trip turned out to be a memorable one in terms of photo opportunities and the encounters in the Wild. Rhino count is on the rise slowly but it will take time and much more effort to achieve a health population.

This was my first ever Rhino sighting from India and like its African cousin, the OHIR is quite a Tank and even bigger than the African Rhinos. Saw this Rhino grazing near by a forest track and had an opportunity to go to its eye level for a better POV.

I was on a 500 mm lens and the light was at a premium , so I had to pump up that iso and keeping ETTR in mind , I had quite a good raw file to work upon.

Framing wise it was getting difficult to accommodate the Rhino fully in the frame and hence ended up clipping its hind portion on the RHS as viewed.

Will be posting more Rhinos and other wild species from this part of the forest in the coming days.

DPP 4.12, PSCC 2020, WB, curves, HSL, selective colour, NR , sharpening, stretched the canvas at the foot.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 500mm f4 IS II, Bean Bag.

ETTR, ss 1/800, f/4.0, iso 16,000.

Looking forward for all your comments and suggestions, be it of any nature.

Haseeb.
    Last edited by haseeb badar; 03-12-2020 at 01:12 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi haseeb,

Framing wise it was getting difficult to accommodate the Rhino fully in the frame and hence ended up clipping its hind portion on the RHS as viewed.
    I think you needed to either go tighter in, or pulling back on your position, as cropping that little bit on the RH as you mentioned is not ideal framing IMHO. The FG vegetation is also a wee bit distracting. There is a little bit of noise which you can address, but at ISO16k it's quite good. I would give it a bit more of a tweak in the midtones and add some saturation just to add some life, just looks a bit frat to me?

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve — framing is not ideal but still I am fine with it . FG plant is not bothering me but I can understand if folks find it a bit problematic. Your suggestions reg midtone and saturation looks good and I definitely will implement it to improve the image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a RP , based on the suggestions. WDYT ?

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is a RP , based on the suggestions. WDYT ?
    Obviously I would say yes , but lets see what other think Haseeb. BTW the bugs stay, but think the bird mark could go???

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bird mark ! I am fine with it , almost all Rhinos were carrying those marks

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, first look at the image I thought OK but I think the repost looks better, the nose in particular grabs my attention in the second image. I get irritated sometimes when something is in the way and of course everyone says something is in the way. On the one hand if you could have done something about it you almost certainly would have but if you couldn't - well you couldn't. Well guess what that bush is in the way! - Sorry! I also feel that slicing off the left flank did not help presentation. Having said that I presume once again there was a reason for so.
    Despite the negatives I still think you have an eye catching image and I like the limited depth of field. Oh yes I like the orange brown ear tufts too!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon -- I really enjoyed reading your comment, so nicely conveyed . Well, I am ok with the fg plant as it was there and i couldnt have avoided it. As far as the clipped hind portion , i did tried to accommodate it fully but for the prime lens I wasn't able to frame it as per my choice, though , I had the 100-400mm lens with me but was reluctant to use it becuase of the fast fading light. But I am happy with the outcome, especially the kind of result I got using the high iso , much credit to the ETTR technique.

Thank you for your comment, much appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, I am happy for you to have got some nice photo opportunities on this trip of yours to the north-east. The parks you have visited are on my Wishlist and hope to make it there depending on how the Covid-19 virus issue plays out here in India. Wishing everyone to be safe and be well.
    I like the image, the head-on pose, the low angle and those little beady eyes. I understand the limitations of the framing and the OOF shrub but you still did a fine job of getting low. Nice work with the ETTR and PP. TFS. Looking forward to more from your trip.

10. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb glad to hear and see that the trip was successful !!
    Love the Indian rhino , they are really characters !!

I do like the half head on pose .... checking you out with the ears facing forward , great stuff .
    The crop is a bit unfortunate and I would go in tighter to the half of the body ...
    The OP is a bit flat in tone and color .... depending on the shooting situation maybe right !
    RP has adressed it .... still think a bit flat in parts and the hide appears a bit " blueish " ....

The canvas extension looks odd to me .... try to get better result !!

TFS Andreas

12. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose is nice and the image quality looks very nice for that ISO. Yes looks like framing was difficult here. But you did well. Not sure what else you could have done.

14. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post