Thread: Etosha´s Big Boys

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Etosha´s Big Boys

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey folks ... i do love the Etosha bulls so much !!
    Always a treat to meet them ... as they are really gentle giants , easy to deal with as far as my personal experience goes !!!!!! Met other elephant bulls .... they were not that easy and nice , LOL .
    Saw them coming from far .... walking towards the waterhole at the main camp .... i thought i had plenty of time , but as it is in real life , they came close quickly !
    So i was struggling with composition and the angle of light , not knowing which path they take .... so i was ending up zooming and out and firing shots . But the issue was , they never walked in line or in perfect distance to each other , they never flapped ears at the same time .... Damned !!!!

One of the results is this ... i know it is too tight on LHS , too late folks !!!
    So now here is a rather " low contrast " toning image . Again straight forward TriTone without major additional tonal work . Just some selective D&B .
    Kept the the contrast low in the shadows , but high in the HL !!!

Gabriela - indeed i can take any ripping with ease .... as you are all far away .... and if do not want to see you folks , i just turn off the computer . Easy task . So please honest feedback is hopefully on the way .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 200 - 400 IS L at 400 mm ( 300 would have been better )
    Beanbag

F8 ; iso 1000 ; 1/2000 sec ; man exp and auto iso

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2020 ; slightly cropped from top ; Tritone in PS ; little gardening in FG

Tranks for watching and commenting to my previous psoting .... cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ok Andreas...honest feedback

First of all, no problem about the lack of space on the LHS, you already mentioned it and this is just an exercise, so no worries.

This does work to a great extent, IMO. Love the Eles. Nice tones and lots of textures present despite the 'softer' treatment although I would love to see an RP with a high contrast version so we can compare the two - can you do it when you find some time?

I like the processing, very much - but from the aesthetic POV I am thinking this would work even better (the low contrast version) on a 'cleaner' image without bushes/vegetation in the BG. This, to have more separation between the subjects and BG.

Boetie...are you still there, or you turned off your computer, LOL ? I'll be back tomorrow with more thoughts on this, let me sleep on it

Thank you so much for sharing, I am enjoying this...

Regards from your sister in Africa
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela thank you for the punishment ... it hurts so much .

Cleaner image .. well i would have loved to have that , but no choice . Would have loved to go lower , but could not as the gate was just 200 m to the left .
    Tried a more contrasty version , but then the bushes become more evident and somehow distracting .... you remember your elllies, do you ??!!
    Just have a sleep ... on it .... will wait .
    Meanwhile the BIG boy .... is going to its playground ... and fiddles with tone and contrast , instead of sand and cars .

Meet you here .... Cheers the Boetie

Before i forget , even if being an exercise .... i blame myself about the missing parts on LHS !!!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Morning Andreas,

Well when I started writing I thought I'd find something to 'punish' you...but really could not find much apart from things you already mentioned. I like the treatment, just wish for less vegetation at the back. I understand why you could not get lower

Have a nice day Boetie,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela .... i can go more contrasty in the subjects , that is no problem .... but only after the toning process . The bushes are already treated differently afterwards via selective dodging to get a decent separation .

6. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, I am not keen on all the pale bright elements, not at all keen on this treatment at all really - sorry! I don't think it offers anything more than would a colour image in fact the reverse. I appreciate it is just an alternative but for me it really isn't.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon .... no problem , appreciate your feedback . But will keep going with the " treatments " ....

Why should a B&W offer more than a color image ?? Or vice versa ...? Do not understand the point !
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 03-05-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Thanks Jon .... no problem , appreciate your feedback . But will keep going with the " treatments " ....

Why should a B&W offer more than a color image ?? Or vice versa ...? Do not understand the point !
    I suppose I am saying the colour would offer much more information to the rods and cones and the B&W would be all about tones.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes it does offer more information , question would be .... do i need it ??? And that is personal taste .... as B&W is not only about tones !!!
    Color can sometimes take away the interest .... or add interest , just because the color is an additional element that is catching our senses !!

IN the end it is just a question what we all like or not !!!

Hey i have uploaded the color version for you of the previous posting ... have play with it in color .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon another thing is ... the sky in the original capture is just almost white .... it does look bad in color !!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it. Neat how the elephants get darker a color as they go back. Detail and the black and white treatments look very nice. Yes it's tight on the left but thats the way she goes sometimes.