Thread: Gharial (Gavialis gangeticus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gharial (Gavialis gangeticus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held from a boat. Just look at those nostrils, I'll post another image shortly just to show how effective they are!
    Olympus : E-M1X
    Lens Model : M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14
    Lens focal length : 420 mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 841.0mm
    Metering mode : Pattern
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO: 400
    Shutter speed : 1/1250 sec
    Aperture : F6.3

ACR + PSCC

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... yeah really cool to get a head shot of this species .
    Overall looks good in terms of color and tone . For more attraction to the subject i might change the local contrast to a higher value in the subject or lower the contrast in the bubbly water ..... just my thought .
    Crop ... well not ideal i think . A bit more of the neck would be better and go more pano .... in my view .

But great stuff !!!

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you Jon,

Whew...Superb timing here! Mean looking little fellow, good pose with the mouth slightly open, those teeth are amazing...Interested to find out more about the nostrils

Never saw the species before so I have to trust you in terms of colours... they look natural although subject a bit pale/flat, I would add some 'oomph' if this was mine

Comp looks good although I agree with Andreas, a tad more on the LHS would not hurt. One more thing, I read your intro and techs and then noticed you processed in ACR and PSCC - thought you were using LR as well at some stage?

You really had some awesome sightings on this last trip, hope you share some more. Enjoyed this one, thank you so much for sharing!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, Gabriela I have bumped up the contrast quite a bit in the subject, the light was quite bright so when seeing them in the wild they look comparatively pale so here I tried to strike a balance between aesthetics and natural circumstance. I agree definitely a bit of neck would have been better for composition, in fact I nearly didn't post it for that reason!
    I put some DeHaze in the water to emphasise the bubbles - on reflection maybe not such a good idea.
    Gabriela yes i did use LR for a couple of months but it gobbled up nearly 70GB of my C drive and the PC ground to a halt. I quite liked LR but it doesn't do anything of relevance that ACR does not and it is exactly the same workings it is the interface and Database function that is the real difference. I find ACR perfectly adequate and it uses much less resource. I also like putting images in folders as opposed to having a database...... yes I know I am an old fart!
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 03-05-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

After a second look .... i think you need more DOF !!!
    Where was the FP ? I bet in the middle of the long snout .
    As the eye is already slightly unsharp compared to the snout , a little more sharpening might help .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one. Nice detail on the gharial and the texture in the water is really neat. Framing looks fine to me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon , this is a fine head shot , with nice details.

I am with Andrea son the crop suggestion and would have also liked more of the neck part , feels a bit odd. But still well done on getting this head shot.

TFS !