Thread: Another one ... blows the dust

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Another one ... blows the dust

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... i keep going with my journey .

Elephant bull from Botswana ... taken in Nxai Pan NP

Canon EOS 1Dx
    EF 200 - 400 IS L at 560 mm ( TC engaged )
    Beanbag

F 8 ; Iso 2000 ; 1/2500 sec ; man exp and auto iso

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2020 ; slightly cropped , gorgeous TriTone treatment as an intermediate step . Slightly cropped from bottom and RHS .

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous postings ..... journey continuous !!!!

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the subject is fantastic, I would really like to see in colour, sorry I don't like this B&W version at all, the contrast is too high for me, it makes my eyes go crazy they are flitting round and round. I think it is the big black area that spoils it for me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I remember you stating Andreas that you were not a fan of B&W, let alone toned B&W, so this is a real turnaround. It appears you've had a rethink since I've been absent.

As Jonathon says the subject is fantastic, and I must admit that the contrasting nature of this B&W is exactly what makes this work for me, the high contrasting darks, mid & light tones and textures lend itself to this subject & format, nicely seen.

TFS

Cheers
    Marc

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the texture and detail on this one. The black and white or toned treatment works pretty well here.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For me this works Andreas, and I think it would also print rather well. Love the textures here as well as colours (not really on the warm side but not cold either ), the tonality is just right (makes me think of tea ) and there's a lot of depth - love it

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon .... thanks for your comment , much appreciated .

Not sharing your thoughts .... but no problem . For me the color image is really boring IMHO.

But just for you the shot out of cam .... nothing done to it , other than downsized . Have a play if you like .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

To all others who commented ... thanks for your feedback .

I personally think , and i do say that not often , i have done a great job , IMHO !!!! I love this one in terms of conversion and the toning is stunning .

Marc .... LOL , yes might have said that in the past . I think still it is pretty difficult to get along with this B&W toning thing .... but in the moment i try really hard to get my grip into it . A learning curve .... and i love to learn what works and what not , and all you folks might be helpers !!! At the moment i am leaving color .... alone .

Gabriela - glad you like this one . Very interesting to try the toning .... so far i did not go along the really cool route , i am a bit sceptic about this cause you might rip me apart .... LOL . So i keep staying more on the safe side ..... for the moment . I am also trying to create a low contrast toning scene .... wonder what you might say . Difficult for me though .... as these conversion are living because of the contrast and form IMHO . But i try and will post .... soon .

Thanks again and cheers to all of you , Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don't think we'll rip you apart, LOL. And you are a big boy, you can take it! Sometimes things just work, Andreas. So don't be shy, your images get better and better as you practice, we can all see it:)

Really wish I had the time to play with toned images now, and not just five minutes dabbling in colour, mixing this and that (like I did the other day, was just trying in PSCC to see how it works). One needs to figure out what kind of effect one wants to achieve...and just choosing the right image takes time. Understanding colours and what combinations work together is also important.

So let us see some more Andreas, I look forward to that 'low contrast toning scene'
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Check it out .... i am not really afraid of ripping . Can stand it ....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Check it out .... i am not really afraid of ripping . Can stand it ....
    Here you go, it comes to life now, look at those eyelashes!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon .... for sure does it come somehow to life with some treatment , well if you think the eyelashes does make the image , your call ! The lashes are just way toooooo small to make the image ... IMHO . And last but not least here you have just one color in the elephant and in the landscape .... just a yellow thingie not more !!!
    Looks like another color image from an elephant ... not because you made it ... just because of its nature .
    I persoally prefer the B&W version ... for the moment .

Thanks again for your effort .....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Thanks Jon .... for sure does it come somehow to life with some treatment , well if you think the eyelashes does make the image , your call ! The lashes are just way toooooo small to make the image ... IMHO . And last but not least here you have just one color in the elephant and in the landscape .... just a yellow thingie not more !!!
    Looks like another color image from an elephant ... not because you made it ... just because of its nature .
    I persoally prefer the B&W version ... for the moment .

Thanks again for your effort .....
    Andreas, i think we should discuss the merits of colour v B&W over a few English pints, I might be able to persuade you more effectively

Threads
    Thank You Posts

LOL ... Jon , maybe one day with great pleasure !!!

I might come over for seals in nov/dec ... if i can find a good spot with no restrictions . Or you come over with Steve and we can meet at the bisons and have some Heineken in Zandvoort .

Actually for me just matter of taste , no right or wrong for me .... B&W or color !! But for sure ... worth to exchange , even if not coming to a point of agreement .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- Pretty late on this but I would like to say that some subjects and settings make way better BW images than the colour versions. Elephant for one is a good BW candidate and what better than to have it all caked up.

SO I feel this is the right call in opting for BW , although Jon's colour version appears fine but for me BW is slightly better.

Nicely done, TFS !