Thread: Golden jackal (Canis aureus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Golden jackal (Canis aureus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held, first glance may give the impression the face is over-sharpened but I think the fur may be partly damp.

Olympus E-M1X
    Metering mode : Pattern
    Exposure program : Manual
    Shutter speed : 1/200 sec
    Aperture : F5.6
    ISO 2000
    Exposure bias : 0 EV
    Lens focal length : 420 mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 841.0mm

ACR + PSCC

I may have posted a similar one previously this is a slightly different version

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

Well captured, and thank you for sharing! Great pose from this golden jackal and I love the direct stare. As well as POV.

Face does not seem over-sharpened to me at all. Colours look natural, nice detail in that 'golden' coat, I just feel the image is slightly underexposed?

At first I wondered about the central placement of the subject within the frame - but I think it works as is, Jon. BG looks great, I like the foliage and deep greens, also the mushy FG.

Been wondering about the size of this golden jackal, in comparison with our scrawny little black-backed and side-striped jackals...And curious to know more, I'll do some reading tonight

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela the lighting was cloudy with the occasional shaft of light, I placed it there because there was a large open pale area of sky and trees top right. Glad you like the colours, previously I had a few issues. I added a tiny bit of contrast to the jackal, it appeared quite pale and almost washed out.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... a nice jackal shot .
    I do like the pose of the jackal and the overall image design ... just 50/50 on the central placement .
    You have nice details and sharpness in the subject .... think the head is slightly softer than the rump ??!! Where was the FP ?
    Colors are looking better i think .... still having a sort of looking the same across the color range ???? Might be just me ... seen the jackals myself !!

Nice one Jon

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice you caught this jackal before it headed into those woods. The framing is alright i could see it cropped from the bottom and the right some. Detail looks pretty good here. Maybe just bump up the exposure a tad.