Thread: Black-winged Stilts

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black-winged Stilts

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was shot at a local marsh before sunrise. There wasn't a whole lot of light for me to work with, but the colors in the sky and the water were incredible. I chose to compose this shot with the two OOF birds in the BG as I felt they added some interest to an, otherwise, sterile scene. I had to lie prone in ankle-deep, algae-infested water (gross but no regrets ) to even stand a chance to get close to these birds. They were extremely skittish, possibly due to the presence of feral dogs and a couple of harriers in the vicinity. Sharpening this image was a massive challenge - the RAW image is sharp and post-NR sharpness is good, but the apparent sharpness is affected by the lack of direct light on the feathers (which is also why there isn't a lot of visible detail on the wings).

Camera - Nikon D850
    Focal Length - 500mm
    Aperture - f/5.6
    Shutter Speed - 1/250s
    ISO - 3200
    Handheld
    Manual, Auto ISO
    ~70% of Full-frame

As always, all comments & CC are appreciated
    Last edited by Aditya Sridhar; 02-25-2020 at 04:19 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Aditya, I really like this image. The subtle colors and transition from blue to pink are great. The birds in the background add to the scene a lot IMO and give nice depth given both have a good pose. Crop works to give room around each pose going both ways. TFS,

3. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Aditya:

Really like the feel of this one, very ethereal. Appreciate the technical challenges,, but it still works well for me. I might try some variations on the crop, such as a bit more pano, and perhaps a version with just the two right hand birds, just to see how it plays for you.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

5. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too like the composition, I can appreciate you concern over detail but I think it doesn't matter too much, I think in this case the image about the colours and composition. I agree maybe slightly more pano and possibly a hint of graduated filter at the top if you haven't already.

7. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pleasing image. Nice color grade and Birds are not intersecting.

Well done. TFS

9. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Aditya, lovely pastel colours from the light, and the comp works for me with the focussed Stilt in the center. You low perspective works well too, and if you took a bit off the bottom, it would enhance the perspective. These guys are similar to our Black winged Stilts.

11. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is quite lovely. A pano might be worth a try. I tried to visualize a version with the two oof birds cloned out, but I think your instincts are right that it would be to sterile. Well done and worth the algae.

13. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like this one. Nice soft gradient the background makes. Also like how the right bird is more in focus than the one on the left. This would be over the top if the center and right bird has a little more room between them.

15. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really pretty Aditya.
    I love the soft color palette. Very well seen. Helps that the leg positions of all 3 birds are similar.
    I would take a bit off the bottom and I think this needs the tiniest little bit of CW rotation.
    I like it! Always hard to pull off something "different" but you did it here,
    Gail

17. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post