Thread: Young Elephant Bulls at Play

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Young Elephant Bulls at Play

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Friends,

I do not have much experience with conversions, nevertheless sharing an image tonight which I hope you do not find too boring.

This was captured in the Kruger Park. Those two youngsters - low ranking bulls - were playing at the water's edge while the older members of the family took their time to bathe and drink. They were quite entertaining to watch, and at some stage another chap joined them so things got more interesting... Unfortunately in just about every frame one ele has its back turned towards the camera, so a great number of those frames remained unprocessed. Don't know why I kept them, for memory sake I guess...

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 2000
    F6.3
    1/2000s
    +1/3 EV

Hope you all have a wonderful rest of the week, many thanks for taking the time to view as well as for comments and suggestions on my previous images

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I sometimes find it difficult to come up with some constructive criticism on B&W because the intention of the author is not always obvious to me. The image looks well focused sharp and exposed. The interpretation of tones leaves me in a bit of a quandary. I guess you have deliberately chosen to render the vegetation comparatively high key to make the elephants stand out. From that standpoint they do but I find the background a little too bright, in fact I think it is beginning to have a negative effect I am drawn to it as opposed to remaining glued to the elephants. Sorry if I appear a little less than enthusiastic, I do think B&W is a good idea and it is something I like to dabble with but in many instances I find myself thinking that colour would look better, and possibly in this case I feel this may be so.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela .... without seeing the original i think the color version would have more impact IMHO .

I think the shrub is taking away too much attention from the funny elephants .... conversion is solid . I do agree with Jon it is more difficult to " judge" on the B&W front . Cause the line is thinner , one is walking on when dealing with B&W images . Just my 2 cents.
    Tones are good in general , but needs more punch in the main subjects . The question of punch is so personal .... tried some with less punch and have some lovely fine tonal variation and super smooth graduation , but did not like it .

Hope this helps ... and try again and again .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon!

Thank you very much for taking the time to view and comment Don't think I had many artistic intentions here, just tried something different because I wasn't happy with the colour version. But like I said, I have not much experience with conversions

And you are perfectly right, the vegetation in the BG was a bit overpowering - so maybe the slightly 'high key' approach helped a bit, or perhaps it's too bright. What really bothered me was the big branch in the upper left corner of the frame, but not much I could do about that.

One more thing...please do not apologise about the 'lack of enthusiasm' - I value your opinion and really appreciate honest feedback, without it there'll be no progress whatsoever in terms of my PP work. I used to share only what I really liked and was happy with, and for that reason you did not see that many posts from me. But Steve told me I must post more to get feedback, so I am doing just that.

I am also relocating, so a bit difficult to process images right now - you might get to see a lot of oldies for the next month or so, and please critique as much as you like, I love to hear from you The worst thing for me would be to post and get no comments at all...that would really get me worried

Hope you have a wonderful week-end, Jon, and chat soon!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Boetie Andreas,

I guess I was replying to Jon when you wrote your comments, only saw yours now - sorry

Agree with you on all counts, about B/W in general as well as this attempt of mine. But I'll keep trying, and hopefully get it right

I think with B/W conversions one must really know what one wants to achieve, which wasn't the case here. I was mainly trying to conceal the BG and make the subjects stand out.

Maybe I should try shoot B/W... Perhaps looking at a given scene without colour will force me to see things differently and bring about more creativity - I think it's worth a try

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi .... to get it " right " is very subjective !!!! There is no right or wrong !!!

B&W a very difficult theme ....

Shooting in B&W might help .... for me not necessary .But try ....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The tones and detail in this one are right on. Like the interaction as well. Good poses on both elephants as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela:

Well, I like b&w, as I am old enough that it was my standard for many years! I do agree that I find the image too high key for my taste. For me the elephants are near enough, and a strong enough graphic element, that the big branch you mentioned isn't particularly distracting. I would hit it again with a slightly different conversion and see what you think. Look forward to seeing another interpretation!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much John and Randy,

Not sure what I am going to do with this one yet, but will be back with more

Kind regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 02-27-2020 at 01:21 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lets see the colour version Gabriela, the B/W is too contrasty with the BKG vegetation competing with the subject IMHO.

The best wa to shoot it in B/W is with the change of Picture mode, that way you will know if it works or not.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I did not keep the colour version, Steve - felt the BG was 'too much'. Maybe it's too much for both B/W and colour, LOL.
    Gabriela Plesea