Thread: Snow Goose

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snow Goose

Attached Images Attached Images

I made this image in Bosque Del Apache after Sunset.

Camera Settings:-
    ===============
    Nikon D850 600 f/4
    Info 1/200s f/4.0 ISO8000

Manual; Matrix metering

Post Processing:-
    ===============
    Raw Processing using C1P 20
    No Cropping
    ]Neat Image NR
    Sharpening for Presentation
    Cloned another bird left side of image.

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

Thanks
    Krishna

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Image quality looks pretty good for the high ISO. I'm not sure on the framing maybe crop tighter. But i guess you would loose the color on the bottom.

3. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oooh, I really love this one. Soo painterly and the narrow DOF totally works for me. The balance, even in the pose, just seems to work well. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the overall effect of the soft colorful background and the narrow dof on the bird.
    As posted I wish for just a better look at the bird's head but I think it would make a wonderful large print.

6. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, the image does have a very painterly quality, and you did incredibly well to get the focus point right on the head of this speedy subject. That said, there are three points I want to address. First, the blurred
    wings are a big problem for me as they make the image look like a grab shot rather than something deliberately composed. I see you had no light, so the shutter and DOF combined to make this an uphill struggle.
    Second, for these shots to work, the bird had to be coming dead-straight at you to generate symmetry. Lastly, I see you wanted to keep that beautiful red stripe across the bottom of the frame, but doing so has
    rendered the subject smaller and with less impact. I would have packed up once my I needed to push my settings this far, but then again I'm not very creative with the camera. So, I applaud the effort to get something
    different, and I hope this long critique has given you something to think about it you give this another go!

8. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    Yes, the image does have a very painterly quality, and you did incredibly well to get the focus point right on the head of this speedy subject. That said, there are three points I want to address. First, the blurred
    wings are a big problem for me as they make the image look like a grab shot rather than something deliberately composed. I see you had no light, so the shutter and DOF combined to make this an uphill struggle.
    Second, for these shots to work, the bird had to be coming dead-straight at you to generate symmetry. Lastly, I see you wanted to keep that beautiful red stripe across the bottom of the frame, but doing so has
    rendered the subject smaller and with less impact. I would have packed up once my I needed to push my settings this far, but then again I'm not very creative with the camera. So, I applaud the effort to get something
    different, and I hope this long critique has given you something to think about it you give this another go!

Thank you for the critique. I appreciate it.

I wanted to get painterly feel to the image, with bird relatively small in the frame and hence the image design.