Thread: Common blue (Polyommatus icarus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common blue (Polyommatus icarus)

Attached Images Attached Images

I don't think I have posted this image previously.. and if I have , well there is an excuse, I am using a slightly different processing algorithm.
    We have a bonus, I didn't spot the crab spider or the other ?? instar of some sort

Hand held

Olympus E-M1X
    Metering mode : Pattern
    Exposure program : Manual
    Shutter speed : 1/640 sec
    Aperture : F7.1
    ISO 200
    Exposure bias : -0.3 EV
    Lens focal length : 210 mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 421.0mm
    Flash : OFF

ACR + PSCC

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful Colors.

I think you can increase the brightness in mid tones a little bit. Also I am looking at this thinking it could be a vertical composition. Any specific reason why you choose horizontal composition ?

TFS

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Krishna, I kicked myself when I got back home to process this initially because the first thing I said to myself was that it should have been in portrait mode. I think it would have been better, I suspect it was oriented this way because I hadn't had the camera long and I was still customising it. I kept it landscape to maximise file size.
    Which mid tones are you referring to - is it the flower head (self heal), it does look a little dark, it is indeed naturally quite dark and possibly the sun angle did not light it optimally. I didn't brighten it up because I wanted the spider and the butterfly to be the dominant features.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great. Now all you need is some dew. I like the framing. Background is spot on. Nice to see the spider at the bottom. The butterfly is nice and parallel. Image quality looks great.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon:

I like this one a lot, the spider is a real bonus, plus attractive plant. Wish there was a bit more DOF for the trailing edge of the wings. It looks like you had some light to deal with a smaller aperture for increased DOF. Nice fuzzy butterfly!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton