Thread: Small Indian Civet

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Small Indian Civet

Attached Images Attached Images

Not the most aesthetically pleasing image but I can't remember seeing a picture of this animal on the website so I thought it was worth a post.
    Hand held
    Olympus E-M1X
    Lens focal length : 135 mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 270.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO 1250
    Exposure bias : 0 EV
    Exposure time : 1/100 sec
    F number : F2.8
    Flash : ON (Fill-in and off camera)

ACR + PSCC 2020

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon:

Curious looking fellow, one that I am not familiar with.

Perhaps a slightly lower level of flash would have done the job without quite the harsh shadows and high contrast. Always a challenge when you don't have time or the cooperation to try multiple settings. As a quick and dirty flash bracket, I often will take a quick burst of 3-4 shots, using the diminishing output of the flash since it doesn't have time to fully recycle, to result in reduced flash effect. Nice to have several exposure options to choose from.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

Definitely worth sharing, I have never seen this species before! Our African civets are much bigger...

Nice to see the environment, those leaves and the pods, it's just unfortunate that there are so many other branches... And the shadows of the branches are quite strong... but nothing you could do about that.

The tail of this civet is very long, one can just see a bit of fur beneath the big branch. Cute face, makes me think of a Bush Baby.

I suppose you had to crop quite a bit? Wish you were closer, but those are nocturnal animals and I suppose very skittish. Really enjoyed viewing, thank you so much Jon

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, Gabriela thanks for your comments. The image is quite a crop he was high up in the trees unfortunately getting close of course meant a less desirable shooting angle. I have a pretty powerful gun running on Li ion battery but it took a lot of juice for each image , I did as you indicated Randy but the darker images were very dark.. This one was in fact very far the the right exposure (perfect for Andreas )
    I had to pull the histogram well back and then I isolated the background and brought that down further.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon and glad you liked your exposure !!!

Good to see something different and you could be happy for the shot .

Personally i am not a friend of this flashed images ... sorry . So will keep my mouth shut .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Thanks Jon and glad you liked your exposure !!!

Good to see something different and you could be happy for the shot .

Personally i am not a friend of this flashed images ... sorry . So will keep my mouth shut .

TFS Andreas
    Andreas I will not be offended I genuinely value your opinion. I am not a fan of flash like this either.. but I could see no alternative.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... from my POV this was the best you could have done . No need to excuse .... i would have produced the same . That's why i do not photograph at night time .... leave this to folks who have the knowledge . But i do even not like the majority of the pro flashed images .... just not my cuppa .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon -- I dont mind images taken at night or using flash , they come out good , definitely difficult to make quality images in the dark and with artificial light but they do have that sense of mystery to it and so creatures are nocturnal as well.

For this image the only that works for me is the subject , common during night hrs but not easy to get good shots. For me it is more of a record shot and so no point getting into the technicals.

TFS !