Thread: Headbanger .... LOL

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Headbanger .... LOL

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... the gone Mr Detail poked me in the eye .
    Recommended a Tritone to my last posting , the Bison portrait .
    So i checked on Mr Google for options .... doing it in PS .
    So i tried it .... with the Brownie from Kamtchatka .
    Please ... i hope i can read some comments on this one . As with new stuff i am not sure if this works .... never got my hands really on this B&W stuff . Albeit i do love B&W images a lot !!

Canon EOS 1Dx
    EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC
    Tripod

F 5,6 Iso 4000 ; 1/2000 sec ; man exp and auto iso ; perfect ETTR

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2020 ; used the Tritone Route and one additional layer with the " soft light " blend mode for more local contrast . Took me a while to get used to the working path with the " Tritone "

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting .

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas haven't a clue about Trotone Route but I think you have a pleasing result. Good detail in darks and highlights, pleasing range of tones.
    How do you know you have perfect ETTR ...you are using an SLR?????? I am puzzled why you have started indicating "perfect" - what am I missing?

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andreas,

I quite like this effect you created here. As well as the 'head shake' from the subject, visible eye and of course those water drops.

Wish you had more at the top of the frame...Otherwise, I must say I am enjoying this conversion and the tonal range is great.

Would like to see more Boetie, thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, my understanding of Andreas's expression "perfect ETTR" is, the histogram of a particular image has an even distribution of tones, no clipped blacks or blown HL.
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon and Gabriela for your comments , much appreciated .

Gabriela ... fully agree with your reservations about the cut off ear ... was totally unimportant for me , just picked the image and played with the TriTone !!! So forgive me on that count . Will try to do better with the next one .

Jon - quite surprised that you are puzzled , for a long while we are talking here about ETTR . ETTR has got nothing to do which system you use , whether it is SLR , Bridge , mirrorless and what all other camera system is on the market . One just needs a visible histogram on the camera back or in the viewfinder .... with the fancy mirrorless .

Shooting ETTR means .... Expose to the right .... the tones shifted to the right , as far as possible without clipping the HL . Regardless how the blacks come out .... i do not watch the darker tones during capture . All what counts are the HLīs !!!!

To sum it up ...... Perfect ETTR = tones to the right without blowing the HL , sometimes even blowing them slightly to a degree .

Hope you understand .

Cheers Andreas

6. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Boetie, yes I do realise this was an 'exercise' so no worries about the ear and not enough space at the top. I really think you processed this so nicely, that you should try more conversions in the future Some frames have the ideal tonal range and so suitable...

Love that eye and quizzical expression... and the tritone adds much more drama than any colour version would do - don't you think?
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 02-20-2020 at 02:36 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree Gabriela ... will definitely try more . Next one ... too .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking forward to see more, Boetie - I think you understand colour and tonality so well, this must be easy for you... just something different to play with
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The tile is funny. I agree with you on that one. The image is tight. But the action is nice as well. Not really a fan of black and white.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- I really liked this image, kind of enjoy such conversions. The sprinkling water is adding to the image and you also have some nice details in the subject. The clipped ear is not an issue but at the same time I would have preferred it in full view. But I think you have done quite well with the conversion .

TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Thanks Jon and Gabriela for your comments , much appreciated .

Gabriela ... fully agree with your reservations about the cut off ear ... was totally unimportant for me , just picked the image and played with the TriTone !!! So forgive me on that count . Will try to do better with the next one .

Jon - quite surprised that you are puzzled , for a long while we are talking here about ETTR . ETTR has got nothing to do which system you use , whether it is SLR , Bridge , mirrorless and what all other camera system is on the market . One just needs a visible histogram on the camera back or in the viewfinder .... with the fancy mirrorless .

Shooting ETTR means .... Expose to the right .... the tones shifted to the right , as far as possible without clipping the HL . Regardless how the blacks come out .... i do not watch the darker tones during capture . All what counts are the HLīs !!!!

To sum it up ...... Perfect ETTR = tones to the right without blowing the HL , sometimes even blowing them slightly to a degree .

Hope you understand .

Cheers Andreas
    Andreas, you are shooting to the right, that's fine I understand. I am not making a big deal of this I am not at all precious...but how do you know it's perfect.. well quite honestly you don't (at least that is what I think!!) - you will be close I acknowledge that, but the image on the back of your camera is a jpeg so if you clip that it does not necessarily mean the raw file was clipped and of course it depends upon where you set your clipping indicators. Mirrorless cameras can display differently but as far as I know you still see a jpeg representation albeit you can see clipping in the image as well as the histogram. It was just the use of the word "perfect" ......I thought I was missing something.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon ... canīt follow you .

I do not look at the image on camera , just the histogram for checking . Not interested how the image looks .
    Perfect is just a word that i used ... to say the exposure could not have been any better !!!!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, I like it, told you to think about expanding you PS skills and look at other options, remember Duo, or Quad might be a better choice, it depends on the original and how you want the end result to look like.

TFS
    Steve