Thread: Went lower, Blah BG,,, Yes too high, but loved the BG...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Went lower, Blah BG,,, Yes too high, but loved the BG...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R EF 100-400 I @390 f5.6 1/400 ISO 1250

Created just before sunrise.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

the image has a heavy blue cast and the water looks weird as if it has some kind of art filter applied to it. wish the vantage point was lower

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    the image has a heavy blue cast and the water looks weird as if it has some kind of art filter applied to it. wish the vantage point was lower

TFS
    The blue cast was because it's predawn and as I saw it and no filters applied at all. It looks the same in the raw and in the viewfinder when created. Thanks as always for your valued inputs.

ps
    This body is fantastic in low light as far as AF.
    Last edited by David Roach; 02-15-2020 at 05:00 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The water is lovely but Arash is correct. The heron is purple/blue and that is not because of the pre-sunrise. The cast needs to be corrected,
    Gail

6. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    The water is lovely but Arash is correct. The heron is purple/blue and that is not because of the pre-sunrise. The cast needs to be corrected,
    Gail
    Thanks as always for the very valued input. It was fairly dark with only the light from the predawn eastern glow. So, I would expect it to look on the cool side (that is blue cast). However, with my partial color blindness I am no expert on color casts. So, a question. How do you correctly remove a cast. As this(the purple blue) may be a result of trying to reduce the magenta cast which this body is known to have in low light situations (and you have noted on some posts). At any rate, please keep those valued comments coming.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I often end up with water backgrounds like this in dim light. They do look a little funky but are natural.

Regarding the colour casts there are many ways to deal with them. Keeping it simple, best starting point is to get the RAW right in the initial conversion. Try using the WB pipette on an area you think should be neutral, such as the white patch behind the eye in this case. If you note your before and after values you can then make creative alterations - maybe on this occasion you think there should be a little blue in the shot due to the timing of the shot, so you can subtly do that by playing with the white balance slider.

Here is a neutralised version of your shot just for simple comparison

Name:  7M7A7219corrected.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  560.8 KB

As I didn't have access to the RAW here, I took it into photoshop. I created a duplicate background layer (CMD + J on the mac, I think its CTRL + J on a PC). I then went to Filter -> camera RAW filter. I clicked on the white balance pipette (3rd icon from the left on the top row) and clicked on the aforementioned white patch behind the eyed clicked 'OK', giving me this file.

You now have the new white balance on a new layer to play with. Again, if you think it is too warm, just reduce the opacity of this new layer until you like what you see. You now have a nice starting point for the file.

There are more complicated in-depth ways, but this should do most of the job

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Poole; 02-15-2020 at 06:55 PM.

9. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poole View Post
    I often end up with water backgrounds like this in dim light. They do look a little funky but are natural.

Regarding the colour casts there are many ways to deal with them. Keeping it simple, best starting point is to get the RAW right in the initial conversion. Try using the WB pipette on an area you think should be neutral, such as the white patch behind the eye in this case. If you note your before and after values you can then make creative alterations - maybe on this occasion you think there should be a little blue in the shot due to the timing of the shot, so you can subtly do that by playing with the white balance slider.

Here is a neutralised version of your shot just for simple comparison

Name:  7M7A7219corrected.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  560.8 KB

As I didn't have access to the RAW here, I took it into photoshop. I created a duplicate background layer (CMD + J on the mac, I think its CTRL + J on a PC). I then went to Filter -> camera RAW filter. I clicked on the white balance pipette (3rd icon from the left on the top row) and clicked on the aforementioned white patch behind the eyed sliced 'OK', giving me this file.

You now have the new white balance on a new layer to play with. Again, if you think it is too warm, just reduce the opacity of this new layer until you like what you see. You now have a nice starting point for the file.

There are more complicated in-depth ways, but this should do most of the job

Mike
    Thanks Mike for that teaching. Very much appreciated and I guess the title already suggests I love these type of low light BGs and I'm always searching for them as the subject usually pops well against them. I will be using your advice next time for sure. Thanks again to everyone for valued suggestions.
    Last edited by David Roach; 02-15-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    The blue cast was because it's predawn and as I saw it and no filters applied at all. It looks the same in the raw and in the viewfinder when created. Thanks as always for your valued inputs.

ps
    This body is fantastic in low light as far as AF.
    the blue cast is from wrong WB. have you calibrated your monitor ?

best
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

12. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The background sure is neat. Like the cropping and that pose as well.

14. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post