Thread: Yawning tiger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yawning tiger

Attached Images Attached Images

A male tiger yawns away at Magdhi zone of Bandhavgarh as we try to get the best position. Those teeth were huge!
    1DX II
    500mm
    1/640
    f/6.3
    ISO 10000

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful detail focus and exposure, my only slight reservation is perhaps it would benefit from a tad more saturation?

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Sanjeev, I quite like the yawn and good on getting the majority of the head clear of the grasses.

Overall I feel you could open the image up by a third of a stop, but again shot ETTR the image would be better even at ISO 10K. The framing works, but I find the Blacks, Contrast and sharpening all running a tad heavy and a fraction more NR would help ie in the roof of the mouth. Practice ETTR at home Sanjeev, it's easy and once you get to know the histogram your image will be better, even at high ISO.

TFS
    Steve

4. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev ... wow he gave you lovely wide yawn !!!

Comp does work well and the grasses do not bother me , it is more the color and tone that makes me think you need to tweak them ... Steve gave you a good example . Yet another one .... . For progress you should go some simple routine steps .... from there build up the image .

And i can only echo Steve and his ETTR suggestion .... a key element for dealing with High Iso .

TFS Andreas

6. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Sanjeev,

Lovely fun image and what a nice view of this Tiger's impeccable set of teeth

Just read Steve's comment and thought about the old days ( film days) when photographers would underexpose - rather than overexpose - so they didn't blow the HL. But I fully agree with him and Andreas, you should try shoot ETTR even if that means you have to up ISO further - it makes a huge difference:)

Don't find the grasses too distracting here but there's this 'foggy' area inside the mouth (above the tongue) and I have no idea what caused it - maybe lifting of shadows?

Nice POV, I like the eye slightly open, good framing too. Love to see more, thank you for sharing Sanjeev,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

8. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- Sorry for being late on this, but I completely agree with the above comments. I liked the framing and the yawn but tones and details can be improved and should keep in mind ETTR . I am practicing it in my garden area and you should also make it a habit or practice before any outings.

TFS !

10. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a view of that mouth. I take it that was quite the yawn. Must be tired after doing tiger stuff all day and night. Framing is right on.