Thread: First posting in many years - Female Red Winged Blackbird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default First posting in many years - Female Red Winged Blackbird.

Attached Images Attached Images

(Originally posted in wrong forum and moved here)
    I have not posted an image for many years. Health and other issues got in the way. I'm back and was looking for the HA discussion but could not find it so I thought this would be a good place.

Details: Taken 2/1/20, Nikon D850, Nikon 600mm (previous generation), TC 1.7, (Focal Length 1000mm) ISO 500, f8, shutter 1/1250. I did remove a distracting branch behind the tail.

This is a very common bird in most areas, including mine. I would appreciate comments about any aspect of the image though I am particularly interested in feedback about the HA. Perhaps a degree or two looking away. This head angle does seem to be engaging though. I have cleaned up the background a bit, but wanted some detail to give a sense of the habitat. If the branch were at more of an angle, that would be nice instead of being vertical. Thoughts?

Last edited by Jon Saperia; 02-12-2020 at 06:36 PM.
    Jon Saperia

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon, welcome back!! Glad your health issues are better. I love the richness of the browns on this female RWB's wing. Nice perch too. In this case it looks great vertical as is so I would not woprry about a diagonal in this case (besides, the subject gives you a diagonal element here ). As for the head angle, to me it lloks OK here. It is parallel to the sensor, but with the tail-end of the body angling slightly towards it gives the impression of a slight "look-back". A degree or two more would not have hurt, but fine as is. Beautiful background with some very subtle pinks and blues. I do wish the out-of-focus branch skimming the chest was not as close to the bird though.

Here is the link to the awesome head angle discussion that is certainly the one you were looking for:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...le-Fine-Points

P.S. You'll receive much more feedback posting in the main Avian forum as the ETL forum is disappointingly inactive. I can transfer it there if you wish, the image certainly has the quality to belong there!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel, Thank you for the comments. I would appreciate your moving it to the Avian forum. I had originally posted there and then deleted it since I was not sure it was good enough for that. I appreciate your help.
    Jon Saperia

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Placement of the bird in the frame is nice. Also like the pose. Neat how the perch looks like its glowing. Background is nice.