Thread: Hyena pup

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hyena pup

Attached Images Attached Images

Thought I would take a break from PB's & Tigers, so here is a young and inquisitive Hyena pup, not much more to say, other than, am dying to go back but sadly that won't happen this year, but...

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Spotted hyena pup (Crocuta crocuta)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
    Lens: 500 f/4 MKII with 1.4 MKIII
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5.6 ISO3200 HH
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop from the top
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2020

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

WOW. This is beautiful, Steve. And one of my favourite subjects to photograph.

Interesting that the spotties occur in my area and in fairly good numbers but one never gets to see them - they are rather shy, unlike the Kruger ones who would probably climb inside the vehicle if you open the door...

This must have been such a lovely encounter, was it close to the den, and were there other hyenas present?

Lovely, solid portrait with beautiful colours and detail is superb - those fine hairs look as if someone ran a comb through them Very nice framing with enough space for the subject to look into, BG looks great. Superb processing skills, Steve.

I enjoyed this a lot and very impressed with the image quality and overall presentation. Hope you have more opportunities to spend time with our wildlife - if not this year, then in 2021)

Thank you so much for sharing, and have a wonderful week ahead!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I thought you might like it Gabriela and just wanted something different to post.

If there is an opportunity next time then I know what I'm after and totally agree with you about how relaxed they can be at that age and once they gain confidence they will climb inside, but something I would never wish to encourage for obvious reasons and want them to have a healthy respect.

PP is so easy these days as there is minimal that is really done and have really honed the amount applied, as it all comes back to the raw. Keeping it within LR & PS the Workflow is so quick and I think you are now seeing that too.

Hope you have more opportunities to spend time with our wildlife - if not this year, then in 2021
    Limited this year I think with only one trip which is more Avian, but will need to see what 21 can deliver.

Have a lovely evening and hope you get some power.

Cheers
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like it so much, Steve. I keep looking at that muzzle and rubbery black nose, there was that bit of nice light on the subject's face and it made such a difference!

And yes I agree about the respect... between us and hyenas... cannot emphasise how powerful that jaw is, how cunning this animal can be and how fast. The ' friendliness ' can be deceiving, they are curious animals and come close, and from my experience sometimes too close. Still such unique and amazing in many ways, dangerous too, but always special to encounter and photograph

PP easier when the RAW is well composed and well exposed to begin with... as well as sharp Oh well... there's a lot more to it...

Let's see what the new year brings for you, and I look forward to more images of course! For me a lot of changes I think, and in terms of photography more opportunities than before

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

PP easier when the RAW is well composed and well exposed to begin with... as well as sharp
    Composition less so I think Gabriela, but obtaining the maximum amount of data is key and understanding the techs, to the point where you may under expose by a third to retain dynamic range and lift it within the raw converter to reduce noise.

6. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I understand, Steve. Just trying to avoid cropping too much, something I have done a lot in the past. Not that noticeable with the D850 but the other bodies - I think - are less forgiving.
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve I cannot help but feel that most of your recent posts are showing even more detail than those of last year. Really amazing, well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon, not doing anything more, in fact perhaps a tad less, must be LR, or getting more ‘under the skin’ of PS, as it delivers more than often Third party software that folk seem to latch onto big time. I think you too are beginning to see what LR can offer.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a cracker, love those pastel colours.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... a cracking portrait indeed . Gonna love the eye !!!
    Lovely color and tone , i might give some more tonal depth here and there ( the gentle way ) .
    Missing some smooth transitions in the BG ... looking a bit grainy in parts .... specially the green .

Enjoyed watching this one , TFS Andreas

Ps : just seen that one of your friends moved to Jon in terms of kit .... and the images from Ranthambore looking not that great on his website in terms of color / tone etc .... is he completely away from Canon ??? If so .... he is jumping a lot between the brands over the years .
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 02-11-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Whoa ! A brilliant portrait , terrific details and loved that bkg as well. Well done on all counts .

Such a fine image here , another example of great field work coupled with fantastic skills on the computer. brilliantly done.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is just fantastic Steve, amazing level of detail and perfect sharpness. Love the eye and the colours. Solid portrait indeed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice portrait here. The pose is right on. Nice background as well. Detail looks great.