Thread: Brownie from Kamtchatka in close range ....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brownie from Kamtchatka in close range ....

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... do not know why i kept this one so long under the hood .
    The situation was awesome , thrilling and just great experience !!!!!
    It was great day on Kamtchatka in terms of bear encounters , easy though , as we had just the Kambalnaya River as our main goal . Just the 8 photogs of the group and the russian forester who went with us for our safety .... the weather was less good though , more or less pouring rain for something like 3-4 hours . The bears did not care , as the photogs did for the first 2-3 hours .... the one after the other gave up , frustrated . Some folks cameras almost died due to the heavy rain .... others just went foggy inside .
    making slowly the way back to camp .... by walking along the river ... we came across a small rapid . Some folks stopped and asked if we can go shooting here .... the forester said yes . So we went down the river bank and waited for salmon and bear .... sitting there .... being already sucking wet . One after the other gave up ... i was the last one who stood the ground , still hoping .... the group wanted to go .... me not !!!
    The problem is , the rules say , the group has to together ...... so folks had to wait for me and were already frustrated and telling me that i should finish my photographic business . The forester was staying behind me .... while was shooting the bears in poor weather conditions .
    All of a sudden ... the male bear in the image started running towards me ..... i just started shooting without really seeing what i am photographing as the viewfinder was foggy , my glasses more or less foggy and smudge due to rain/ dirt and other things . Finally i managed to get some shots that came out relatively ok .... some completely OOF due to the AF not locking on the head . On the last frames i just had water / splashes and the neck of the bear .... LOL . He was close ...
    I was thrilled and the bear too .... finally realising ... how close he came to me , without being successful with the salmon . But he just looked at me .... and passed on .
    For me a great memory .... that i will never ever forget !!!

Canon EOS 1Dx
    Ef 500 IS L II
    Tripod

F 5 ; Iso 6400 ; 1/1600 sec ; man exp and auto iso . Perfectly shot ETTR with some highlights being clipped in the water .

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2020 ; slight cropped from RHS and top for the 5x7 crop .

Hope you like it .... and thank you for watching.

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, are you suggesting with this image I need to delve way back into the archives and start to post some Katmai bears?????

Firstly, rules are there for a very good reason, especially with groups and everyone has to work as a team and respect the call. Yes, it can be a pain if you just want to finish off, but you can't have one person dictating the whole group, it just doesn't work and so I can understand the groups frustration. Saying, that I bet you were the only one to get any frames from this encounter.

Yes the image technically has flaws, but fully understand that you were 'flying by the seat of your pants,' with no time to change both techs & cases. The speed that these guys generate from a standing start is amazing and if you have time to set-up, this is why I say about DoF & SS because you will soon runout very quickly if you don't get things right prior, and why the lens has to work so much faster to keep up, this would be an ideal situation for the new MKIII.

With the displacement of water and spray it conveys the speed & power of these guys and although there are pitfalls the image conveys the encounter and your description very well. Sometimes I feel it's quite nice to have images like this peppering the forum, simply because of the situation it's dismissed because of the techs, but at times it's about sharing the experience.

If I have time when I get back before flying out, I will try and post something for you, as I was in a similar position but with the 1D MKIII that was now, rather basic.

TFS
    Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andreas,

What a thrill! Indeed must have been quite a scene! I can just imagine Boetie with foggy glasses and his clothes wet and full of mud, standing his ground against the mighty Bear You were lucky he went for the salmon and didn't get tempted by your grey socks!

Enjoyed the intro as well as image, I see clearly what you like about it. Quite powerful. Placement of subject within the frame is about right, a bit tight on the LHS but you obviously had no time to reframe. I really like the water splash and expression on the bear's face as well as that green bit in the BG.

Just curious, how long ago did you take this frame, Andreas? Looks good at 6400 ISO. And you must be careful in the future with those bears Boetie, their bite is 'sorer' than anything:)

Thank you for sharing - much appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What an encounter, you suffered for your craft but you got your shot. The image is full of impact - well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve , Gabriela and Jon for your kind comments .

Gabriela - image from 2018

Steve - for sure you are right about the rules !!!! And yes nobody else got that , as they were all up the bank and kit packed away . But the group was more frustrated about the weather .... not that much about me !!! Fully understood them .

Not sure if the MK III would have performed better , it is still mostly operator error i think . When it comes to anticipation what might happen and then react the right way to nail things . Well at least the newer technology might help to create more keepers .

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

But the group was more frustrated about the weather .... not that much about me !!!
    All fair weather snappers then, or don't they like their kit getting wet, or even dirty?

Not sure if the MK III would have performed better , it is still mostly operator error i think . When it comes to anticipation what might happen and then react the right way to nail things . Well at least the newer technology might help to create more keepers .
    Who knows, unless the opportunity arises again, but irrespective of which body, maybe changing the Cases may have offered a better starting point?

Fingers crossed for this week.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve .... not sure if changing the cases would have helped actually IMHO ???!!!

PS .... had a short grip today at the new toy . Presentation in my home town today , but the guy from Canon did know not that much .... LOL . I knew some features ( which are important for me ) better than him ..... LOL !!! But at least i have seen some samples on a mac book .... and not official files . Images taken this afternoon in Dortmund downtown and the files looked quite ok !!!

Well the real world examples will show the truth , i have told the dealer to call me if one is available

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the action on this one. The splashing water is great as well. I could see a version with dead center framing. But i suspose you loved that water on the bottom right.