Thread: Resplendent Quetzal

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Resplendent Quetzal

Attached Images Attached Images

This was my target bird when in Costa Rica.
    I waited a total of 14 hours to get this image. We waited in the cold and rain on day 1 for 11 hours with no luck and then on day 2, literally 15 minutes before the van arrived to take us to the airport, the rain stopped and 2 males appeared for a total of 3 minutes.
    We were on the side of a steep mountain, in a makeshift tin lean-to with our cameras trained on an avocado tree the entire time. This male used our set-up perch and the other juvie male used a natural perch. I will post that image on another day.
    Not baited or called.
    What a thrill to see this incredible bird.
    Canon 1DX, 600mm v3
    Shot in portrait mode and cropped to 70 % FF.
    ISO 1600 f6.3@1/500.
    Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Everyone's target bird. This is a beauty. Great light and exposure, nice HA. Excellent detail throughout; especially on the head. And background far enough distant to not be a distraction. Good of him to use your set-up perch. If I had one wish it would be for him to perch with his body on your side of the branch, but that would be asking too much.

3. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail, excellent angled pose here, and you have captured really good feather detail throughout the bird - tack sharp too, for such a slow ss. I like the overall colours, and the comp works well with the tail hanging below against a clean BG. Some may say your perch is too over powering, but I personally like it as presented. Congrats on getting your target bird. Im sure you enjoyed your flight back.

5. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Gail, nice reward for the hours of getting nothing. Bird itself is stunning, details i the head have been brought out superbly. Agree with Stu about the perch, I'll be really interested to see how the one on the natural perch looks. Excellent processing

Mike

7. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautifully captured, and stunning bird. Like the story behind this great image, Gail. Wonderful detail throughout and lovely light.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

9. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a bird and what a tail. Love the colors in this image. Nice vertical framing. The lichen and plants on the perch are great.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Resplendent image!! Nice story too - fun when things work out, even if just barely within schedule! If anything, I would blend in the top edge dark spot above the head, my eye seems to wander there more than I like. All else? Top notch!