Thread: Motherhood

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Motherhood

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

I guess raising cubs is probably the most difficult thing to do, for a lioness. And of course it is the most natural thing - feeding them and protecting them from other predators - but it can be rather stressful as they are busy little bodies, constantly playing around and demanding attention...

Here is an image of an experienced and caring mom and one of her youngsters seeking some reassurance and affection. Frame was captured one afternoon in May 2019 at Zuka Private Game Reserve, lighting conditions not great but I could not resist capturing a few frames.

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 4000
    +1/3 EV
    F7.1
    1/1600s
    Processed in LR and PSCC. This has been lying in my folders for a while, thought I'd share it tonight because Steve inspired me with his wonderful - and very powerful - Tiger image. Thank you Steve
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, a very nice behavioural image, well exposed and I like the fact the eyes are open, as often the close them on contact. Colour, framing and techs look good, I'm glad you partially kept the leg in on the RHS. Prudent to up the ISO for more SS and good to note you are feeling more confident with your techs and your PP is also stepping up.

Lets see more as you currently have some more time, albeit subject to power.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much for kind words, Steve

Mmmm...I have to step up, you constantly keep me on my toes

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Little, yet constant steps to build on, you need to push yourself now.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela you have posted a lovely intimate moment in lions life , yet normal from time to time ... still we shoot that . And great that you did not resist under the given lighting situation , in fact it helped to get " easy" file to process with that flat light . The tightness helped and amplified the moment of " intimacy " .
    PP looks good and you have nice form and details in the subjects .... framing just about right for my taste .

As a personal note i might add a ever so slightly tonal oomph , but carefully and use the red channel as mask .... which method up to your taste . In cases like this , i use sometimes the gamma of the exposure adjustment layer .
    Plus i might alter the orange /red color , i personally think they are too dominant for the given light ... just my 2 cents .

TFS Andreas , have a great weekend and i hope you are doing better !!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Gabriela -- This is a fine image with lovely moment. Framing is what I liked the most, even though tight but conveys the msg well. Nice techs and fine PP work, I really liked all the details in there. I see a bit of yellows in whites of the lions, especially the left cheek of the lioness and the mouth of the cub. Also , i feel the image is slightly high on contrast, blacks are appear a bit strong to me.

I did a RP here as per my thoughts , I am not that worthy of a RP here but felt I should convey it by a RP.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Delightful shot Gabriela, this time I shamelessly read the comments before I replied! I like your image and I also did a different version hopefully reflecting the technique which Andreas outlined - if I did it correctly of course is quite a different matter! Oh well I think I got the general idea if not the perfect technique. I think your post is super, love the tones and details the two together make for a most appealing image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Andreas, Haseeb and Jon for kind comments, suggestions and RP

I wanted (but forgot) to mention in my intro, the yellow - or rather slightly greenish tinge Haseeb noticed is in fact algae from the water where Mom and Cub were drinking. I might have one image from the drinking scene where you can actually see the algae, will look for it. The reason why I did not process that image yet... there's a log in the FG that's not too appealing:) So...since it is not a colour cast I decided to leave it in.

Regarding blacks, I feel I did not quite ' crush ' them and there's enough detail in those gums, around the eyes etc. I do agree about the orange which looks a bit much, especially on the chest of the lioness.

Will keep in mind all your suggestions when I process the next image as I have quite a few from this sighting. But first...I think it's time to calibrate this monitor, haven't done it in a while and Mr. Detail will catch me out

Hope you all have a lovely week ahead,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think it's time to calibrate this monitor, haven't done it in a while and Mr. Detail will catch me out
    He will, he will also remind you to add your 'Homework' into the equation too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    He will, he will also remind you to add your 'Homework' into the equation too.
    Please don't tell him! Have the Colormunki right here, will calibrate tonight. Will I ever get to do my homework, I am so far behind
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely moment captured here. Nice framing and view point as well. Detail is spot on as well.

12. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post