Thread: Female Tigress portrait

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Female Tigress portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

Another frame from the encounter I had with this gorgeous 2.5year old female Tiger. We probably spent around an hour with her, but her she decided to always sit just in the vegetation, so the only option was to go tight in. She was so gorgeous and she knew it, but still young enough to mess up a kill. There was only one other vehicle with us and remarkably they left after 10 minutes, unbelievable, however they came back later with others from their group and managed to get their vehicles in every shot without due consideration for others!!!

This I believe is my 1,000 Thread, with almost 17k posts, not bad...

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Tiger (Panthera tigris) female
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500 f/4 MKII with 1.4MKIII HH
    Exposure: 1/1250s at f/5.6 ISO2500
    Original format: Portrait, very slight crop from the bottom and RHS (deliberate)
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2020

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,
    CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 1000th THREAD!!!

As well as on a great number of posts, very impressive - I must congratulate and thank you for those as well, you've been helping us all so much over the years and I personally benefitted tremendously from your advice and RP's

Beautiful portrait of this female Tiger, well exposed and with some awesome colours. Just like the Polar Bear, the Tiger is close to your heart and your love for the species shows in your images.

You know I like portraits... For me going close means a more intimate look at the subjects' features, capturing expression, mood, detail. Photography is an art form and your work shows it requires lots of thought when it comes to composing. As well as an understanding of light and shadows and how to play with those in order to create images that move the viewer.

Must admit, sometimes I am jealous when I see how you make the best of every situation! And of course, of your processing skills Hope you keep delighting us with your wonderful images, and once again a big THANK YOU for sharing your passion and knowledge with us!!!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, many thanks for the reply and yes, 1000 posts not bad, there are others who have exceeded that, but not bad for me.

It was hard to know what to post, one which came to mind (and which just won an award yesterday for my good friend Andy) which I had been keeping, but it can wait another day.

What I feel is nice, is that we all inspire each other and I think with Andreas recent DPP help, it will hopefully elevate those folk who use it to delivering better images. Yes, Photography is an art and for me is an extension of my 'previous' life and yes there is often another angle that is better, but at the time you have to make the best of the situation, as these subjects are wild, the environment is what it is, so no way of moving that bush, or interesting head, you just have to be patient and unlike a set-up it can be frustrating. Photography is a great way to showcase the animals we have on this planet and I must admit I have had some very nice opportunities and on reflection wished I had maximised even more of those opportunities at times...

Gabriela, PP can easily be learnt, the key is having a good raw to work with to make the most of your captures and then being able to deliver your images to portray your subjects in the best 'light'.

Many thanks indeed and look forward to seeing you making the 1k threads soon, and sharing more of what you have in the back yard.

All the best
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey dear " old " Mr Detail or Mr " Wildlife Forum " .... .
    First of all , congrats from the `grey socked kraut `.....to your milestone of threads . 1000th images posted ....a long way and mostly successful .
    I also like to thank you for personal support of mine over the years .... learned a lot from you over that time period , well from other folks , too . But slightly different .... being honest i am competing with you over the years , in the backyard . As most of your images are , at least a technical reference point for me !!! I am close .... and will get you , just have to wait some more years , LOL !!!

Regarding your 1000th thread image ... was thinking what you would be posting , i was wrong though . i was thinking you come around with an old file ..... to maybe see the difference between past and presence .
    But you picked a solid portrait of the striped cat .... besides the usual high IQ , which i just leave aside for the moment , i just love the colors and the tonal range in this one . The three flies or bugs are a nice addition ...
    I am fine with tightness of the frame and having the situation , described in the intro in mind , i like it even more .
    Still i am asking myself , immediately when looking the first time , why have you chosen that framing ???? Normally i think you would leave more space to the right ....and you know the reason , why i ask that question ???!!! I am very interested in your thoughts about it .

TFS Andreas

Top notch !!!

Thanks for including me in your reply to Gabriela ... well we all should learn and help from each other . But i am not sure if PP can be learnt easy .... at least one needs to invest a lot of time to make progress and one , at least for me, has be to critical about his own work . If one is not critical .... will make less progress , just my 2 cents .

Cheeeeers Steve ..... on your way to the 2000th thread .... i am in your neck

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think to try and reply in full might transpire to being a very long one my - '50% grey socked German' , but... The amount is incidental, it's the input and no one is really counting on numbers .

being honest i am competing with you over the years , in the backyard
    Ooh nice to have some friendly competition/rivalry, but hopefully in a way folk can also learn from, too.

why have you chosen that framing
    - Firstly lots of distracting elements around, albeit in the shade
    - The light is from the RHS and gave a less harsh illumination on the LHS
    - I liked the flies around the eye
    - But ultimately I wanted the markings to fill the frame with no other distracting elements, you just had this gorgeous face - in your face, however if head on then that would have been better, but a tad pedestrian.

Cheeeeers Steve ..... on your way to the 2000th thread .... i am in your neck
    No worries.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... glad you take my reply the funny way . As it was meant funny and the " competition " is not too serious and might push folks to follow that route of competition .... for a better end result .

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pure magic Steve, beautiful colours details etc. I have now seen the above comments but when I saw the crop I couldn't help but feel it was a very deliberate choice, just a slight clipping of features all round. Nothing to say regarding improvement... well done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Many Congratulations for your 1000th post, a big achievement and importantly conveys your longevity on this forum and the amount of help that you have done to all of us for staying here for such a long period. I will always be grateful for all your help in improving my photography to whatever little improvements that i might have made.

For the image, it is purely a gem, not because it is your 1000th post but because it is one of the finest Tiger portraits that I have come across till date. Cracking details , great use of light and fantastic processing work. I loved the colours and tones therein and that drool coming out of the mouth. What fine details you have got, a fabulous image indeed. Superbly done. TFS !

ANd I would love to see your version of that image which won an award for Andy, it appears to me you must have made a cracking image for sure. ( i have seen Andy's version on insta, and loved that one).

Thank you Steve and once again many congratulations.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not usually a fan of this very tight portraits. But this one works. Like the light on the one eye.