Thread: Another Polar bear - Mr January

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Another Polar bear - Mr January

Attached Images Attached Images

Meet Mr Polar, January's pin up.

He was absolutely stunning and didn't he know it as he circled our small vessel, occasionally stopping to sniff the air with all these new smells, but for once the light was just spot on IMHO lighting the eye for once. Normally they are just as black as coal, but with the awesome light it just lit them up, the eye is as shot, but you also see that fantastic coat, which is basically hollow quills, as their skin is black.

The dilemma is now what to post on the 1000th thread, thanks to someone who highlight this point.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear (Ursus maritimus)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500f/4 MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/2500s at f/11 ISO3200
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop.
    Processed via: LRCC & PS2020

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Steve, hello Mr. January

Someone's been watching closely and indeed wondering what this 1000th thread is going to be Judging by the intro - which makes it so obvious how much you love Polar Bears - it might be another bear, or maybe a bear cub? Or maybe not... Surprise us!!!

Back to the image posted, I think this is one of the most impeccable Polar bear images I have seen from you. I mean this. Such beautiful nuances and shades of white, incredible how well you managed to separate the subject from the background here. The snow retains a tad of blue, so thoughtful.

Frame is perfectly exposed. Nice composition. Superb detail, those hairs are like feathers - I almost want to touch him and feel the softness of its coat.

I could go on and say much more, but to sum it up I will say "I love it, Steve". You have this ability to process thoughtfully but also think intelligently out there in the field about what looks good in a frame and how to present your subject in the best possible way.
    Congratulations, and I hope this goes to print, it will look stunning

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela, thought I would pick a less 'gory' pick, but that will follow, although not quite to the degree of African ones. Just trying to reinforce ETTR and you that DO NOT need billions of pixels to capture detail.

wondering what this 1000th thread is going to be
    Well it won't be a PB, but you do have an image of it...

Congratulations, and I hope this goes to print, it will look stunning
    Thank you and yes, it's awaiting in the wings.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking forward to your 1000th post, yay, we must celebrate
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- An absolute corker. Look at those details there in the Bear , cant agree more with Gabriela , I wanted to touch it.

Such a fine piece of work and i particularly liked the choice of DOF.

Will that be a Tiger for the 1000th post ?

Super fine image this one , TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ploar bear! My favorite so far of these northern monarchs. Great pose and i agree with you on the light. It brings out the detail wonderfully. What to post for the 1000th thread is easy. Polar bear!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Absolutely impeccable, it's a real beauty Steve, wouldn't change a thing - spot on. Details exposure composition and exceptionally well chosen sharpening regime.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, a wonder filled image, love letting my eyes wander taking it in. Post processing spot on as always, the detail is amazing. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks for the kind words.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve ... a really lovely portrait of the polar bear , albeit the shooting angle is not ideal from the boat .
    All does work very nicely together here .... me as technical photographer and PP enthusiast ..... really love the outrageous IQ !!!! Not a single nit from my side ..... stunning work !

Looks great Mr Detail .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, I kept my commitment to you. Brilliant. brilliant exposure here, and the detail is simply outstanding. Of course to get to that, you need to get it right in camera which you certainly do each shot. I can just feel that warm furry coat of Mr January. Well captured bud.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

a really lovely portrait of the polar bear , albeit the shooting angle is not ideal from the boat
    One day you will get to see these guys Andreas, but safety is the No.1 priority with these guys and so shooting from a ship or zodiac is sadly the only option at times compared to the lovely brown bears we both have encountered at very close quarters, but understand your thoughts, no problem.

Brilliant. brilliant exposure here, and the detail is simply outstanding. Of course to get to that, you need to get it right in camera which you certainly do each shot.
    Hey Stu, what a nice surprise and you are too kind. The MKII is awesome and will hold up to it's counterparts no question and to date, I still have yet to see them being pushed as high as Andreas and I do, followed closely by others now from the Wildlife forum. It will be interesting to see how well the MKIII turns out.

It's great to see you back.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve ... for sure a different story , shooting the PB compared to the Brownies in terms of safety . But there are options .... yet very expensive ones , and you know them too . So far i could not ... push myself to invest sooo much money to stay in those places .