Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    ISO Sensitivity : 800

LR & PSCC

All comments welcome

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon, this typifies why I like to shoot tight, because this is what Tigers do best, get close to you, but allow the vegetation to partially conceal their movements. I can see why you chose f/4 and although shot in the forest you did have some good light. The colour I thinks looks about right, although for me the Tiger & FG is a tad contrasty. I also find the slight brighter grass in between the tree just a bove the head just catches my eye, easily addressed, but very roughly done here. You have the head clear which is good and looks a nice boy. Probably somewhere somewhere between the two for me.

Just did 6 tiger images a for PB's, guess I will wait a while.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... always special to see and even better photograph this species .
    Agree with Steve about the environment and how difficult it can be to get good shots !!! Personally from the image design POV i am ok with the frame. Can be better for sure .... but not much you could have done . At lease you have a decent clear view to this specimen .
    Steve has addressed some of the smaller issues interns of tone and color .

What really " bothers" me , is the color in the tiger , even still present in Steve's RP . As i said to a previous tiger posting from you , the whites looking dirty with some color that should not be there IMHO .
    Check the recent tiger posting from Haseeb or Sanjeev and look at them side by side , compared to yours .... wonder what you think yourself . I am really puzzled why you create that color tone in the tigers whitish fur parts . !!!???
    Was really thinking holding back my thoughts .... but then i siad no .... tell him .

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good morning Jon,

Lovely capture of this beautiful tiger in its environment. Vegetation looks rather dense so I too think you've done a great job catching him 'in the clear' , great timing Framing couldn't be better under the circumstances, also nice walking pose and determined look on the subject's face.

Just curious, was this early morning? OP a bit contrasty overall and tree trunks very dark - on purpose? It is almost as if 'dehaze' was used to eliminate the misty conditions... which I think are typical of this environment.

Colours look natural to me. I see what Andreas is wondering about, but when one looks at the Tiger's forehead the whites are looking good. My guess is, the subject was lying on wet ground or had a dip in a pool of murky water to cool off, perhaps this is where the creamy colour on the belly and neck comes from. The absence of light may also contribute to that, as well as reflection from the forest floor.

Thinking maybe in a couple of years' time I will get to see those majestic creatures with my own eyes, who knows? For now I take great pleasure viewing those images in the Forum, thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela .... then all the tigers photographed by Jon have rested in the same pool .... sorry for being picky !!! But just my view !!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon -- I am with Andreas here , colours do look a bit off , and I too have noticed in most of your tiger images. This is a difficult frame to execute because of the settings and the Tiger itself being elusive doesn't help either. IQ is not upto your standards as well. Sorry Jon, but this is not working for me.

TFS !

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, don't think you are nitpicking, yours was a valid question and I am trying to find a plausible explanation. Will also look at the other images posted, so far I only remember one, been away for a while so missed out on some posts. Jon will look at the RAW and let us know, I am sure
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The tiger was dirty Andreas maybe that's why you don't like the whites.... got to confess I don't see much wrong with them myself...probably my eyesight I am taking medication for my eyes currently. (That's not intended to be an excuse just a possible reason. Don't hold back I don't take offence.)
    Gabriela the image was taken 4.51 .. I know the camera sets the time automatically to different world locations - it has geo location etc ... but I honestly can't remember what the time was.
    Steve's repost looks somewhat better, I have made another version but I'll not bore you with more.
    Haseeb I agree with you the camera has not been used optimally it's my fault. For the vast majority of occasions I was preoccupied in minimising the ISO and sometimes the exposure could have been better - no excuses because I can see the exposure the viewfinder. I suspected after Bandhavgargh that a lot of the images wouldn't be terribly good.... and they were'n't.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 01-31-2020 at 12:44 PM.