Thread: Greedy Fella

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Greedy Fella

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Friends!

Decided to share this image despite a hefty crop ( about 40% of the frame) in order to get some feedback but also entertain you with something different Scene was captured on the 5th of January this year, my companions and I came upon a small lion pride during a morning game drive and spent some time observing them. They were busy feeding on a (female) warthog and we assumed the kill probably occurred in the early hours of the morning.

If you are thinking the warthog might not have been enough to satisfy two adult females and five cubs, then you are right...And there were indeed some scuffles but nothing too serious. I particularly enjoyed watching this cub holding onto his 'share' and growling as soon as another cub approached. He was the smallest of the lot I think but fierce and relentless - great surviving skills!

Why did I crop so tight? Well, while processing the image I had a few issues, one of them being the amount of vegetation at the foot of the frame. As well as above. I would have liked to have no grass at all here, just a close-up of those hungry faces over the kill. If you think I should have included the snout of the warthog let me know, I could reduce the crop. But it's not quite visible as such, hidden in the grass to a great extent.

I also added a vignette (to lessen the impact of the other characters) but it was too strong - so this is my second version with a lesser, softer vignette. Well it's not quite what I envisioned at the time but I tried my best, and as always you are welcome to critique on any aspects of the image you wish Techs to follow:

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 2500
    F10
    1/2000s

Hope you all have a great rest of the week, many thanks for viewing as well as comments on my previous images, I do appreciate you taking the time.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very clean image and the colours look excellent. I understand your cropping logic but I am left wondering if it would be better with the warthog's snout left in.
    I think the vignette works well - I enjoyed viewing the image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Jon,

Thought about it too, I just foresee a problem when allowing for the snout: will have to change the whole crop, have more on all sides to maintain proportion. Might lose a bit of impact due to distractions. But worth a try, I will see what I can do. Always fun to experiment

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I like your thinking and focus, but the vignette isn't working, too heavy, overall colour and clipping of the blacks need, I feel addressing, but this is with some 'artistic' license.

Techs look good, but there is some evidence of HL retrieval/recovery on the chin? Perhaps post the image FF?

Just my take.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Jon and Steve, appreciate your time and suggestions! As well as RP

Steve, I did reduce the vignette...since you saw the image Got bored of my straight forward PP work, thought I'd do something different. Don't think I touched the chin though.

If you have time I'll pop over the RAWHere is a jpg from the original, no work whatsoever on it. Initially thought I'd crop only from the RHS, then changed my mind - what would you do?

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, yep could squeeze a file in over the next day or two if you have the power to send it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are teasing me now Shall send it while I have power because one never knows what tomorrow brings
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- I definitely liked the crop and to some extent the vignette , but I think it should be more subtle than what is in your OP and Steve's RP. Colours are nice in both versions but i am more inclined towards the RP.

I liked this frame for the crop that you opted for.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, got the file thank you and what I thought was HL recovery is in fact mud. Will crack on tomorrow.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Steve, there's no rush of course and I look forward to hear from you any time

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela .... good to see you experimenting , should try something else myself .... if i find the time . But i am maybe too much tekkie .... to go along such route and will go really overboard .

I quite like the approach , the somewhat artsy stuff , having no issues with color / tone and vignette . The viewer is pointed to the most important parts of the image , by your way of processing . One can always discuss about color and tone .... as said , i would take it as presented . I can see a square crop after looking at the original file .

Whereas Steve's RP is not my style at all .... when compared to your OP .

Keep the experiments coming .... TFS your Boetie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the wide view of this one. You can see everybody enjoying their meal. You also have a nice view of the warthog. I don't mind the vegetaion. Quite the scene to witness and photograph. Hope to see some more.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas and John,

Andreas, as you know I do not often go overboard with PP And when I do I usually keep those images to myself, LOL. Here I quite liked what happened after the crop as I felt it improved image design, the positioning of the warthog as well as lions 'lead the eye' somehow and made the scene appear more crowded than it actually was. Which is what I aimed for, or envisioned, when I picked this image.

BTW the initial vignette was stronger than what you see in my OP and I went back and changed it. Perhaps it is still too much, but this is why I posted, so I can hear your opinions Yes the blacks are a bit heavy, colour wise I am not so sure - looking forward to a bit of help from Steve. I think this image deserves a rework

Have a beautiful day
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela as said ... matter of taste , and you can portray it in many ways . In the end you must like it the most !!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well, Steve was kind to send me an RP based on the RAW file, so here's another version from me. I followed his advice and this time got closer to reality, just cropped a bit from the RHS for better balance - what do you think?
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, all I did was minimal PP as I wasn't there and it's a big departure compared to the OP, so it might 'jar' with a few??

Threads
    Thank You Posts

But you are always "there" Steve Otherwise how would I remember every time to check histogram and watch my SS and look where the light comes from, when out there in the field?

Yes I know you only "showed me the way" but it was good to see a version close to reality. I admit I departed from the real scene with my OP and yes it leans towards OOTB... but I like to play every now and then.

Always kin to hear everyone's opinions and happy to reprocess if need be - after all this is what this Forum is all about, learning and experimenting and having fun
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Honestly your OP will grab more attention from a neutral viewer .... i would almost bet .... 1 Deutschmark

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Honestly your OP will grab more attention from a neutral viewer .... i would almost bet .... 1 Deutschmark
    Morning Andreas,

The composition in the OP I think does more for the image and the absence of vegetation gives a cleaner look... all about this one cub biting into the flesh of the warthog, and not "the pride sharing a meal".

Well I have more from this sighting so will see what I do with the next one

Have a great day Boetie!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gaby, your RP in pane #15 works for me. I like how you have 'focussed' on the eating behaviour, and love the paw resting against the tusk.
    I love the sea, but love the bush just as much.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much dear Stu

and so glad to hear from you

have a wonderful week-end!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea