Thread: Red Lechwe

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Lechwe

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured this image in 2018 in the Okavango Delta as a smallish group of Red Lechwe had just spotted the cheetah I had posted images of, not far from us. C&C welcome.

D500, Sigma 150-600mm @ 390mm, 1/1250s, f 7.1, Handheld, ISO 640.

Geoffrey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat looking animal. Like how you caught him mid stride. The framing is right on. Also like the overall setting.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The Lechwe make such great subjects! I like the framing and the pose mid-air with good details. Techs look fine too.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey, nice to have you posting here too again.

I like the framing, but the time of day with the bright light and heat haze is not ideal. You did well with the Blacks & whites, but I might be tempted to run a little NR on the BKG because of the heat haze, just to soften it off??? Regarding techs, being side on I would have gone to f/5.6 and minimum of 1/2500 as you had plenty of ISO and these run fast, however I'm glad it wasn't through water as that could have been a nightmare with the HL's.

TFS
    Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Geoffrey,

So good to see you back! Very cool capture, I would be quite chuffed to have a Lechwe on the run, they can be pretty fast! You did well here despite the harsh light and composition is also nice, lots of space for him to run into.

Pose is great with almost all feet off the ground and neck stretched out, tail folded beneath, it all confirms your description of the scene ( subject having seen a predator ).

Subject is sharp and well exposed, but I do agree with Steve F 5.6 would have been ideal - not just safer in terms of SS but also for more separation from the background.

What other sightings did you have in the Okavango, would like to see more images please And thank you so much for sharing, hope you have a great rest of the week:)

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely caught in the circumstances I may too have risked a 1/1250 sec knowing full well a faster speed was likely to be better... but the noise worse. I think it is a very pleasing shot I really like the way the legs fold and one foot is kept on the ground for propulsion in the soggy earth.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I may too have risked a 1/1250 sec knowing full well a faster speed was likely to be better... but the noise worse.
    Interesting Jon, I would have preferred for a faster SS with a tad more noise, (if indeed it is noise) and have a sharp image where I can deal with any grain, where you can't sharpen a slightly soft image. Look at the ISO Jon, it's only 640.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoff .... well timed shot . I do like the overall " speedy" look of the frame .
    Light looks harsh and you did well , i think .

Nice work !!

TFS Andreas

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for your input.

Steve: Thanks, good to be back posting here. Can't be exactly sure why I chose that ss since I had enough ISO as you point out. Sometimes it's easy to forget to change settings from shot previous to this if the scene / circumstances change rapidly. I checked and I had changed settings for this capture.

Gabriela: Thanks, great to be back. As I recall, when we approached the group of Red Lechwe at a distance, they had not spotted the cheetah yet. Hard to figure out what direction they would run, how fast (first encounter with this type of antelope). It did all happen fairly quickly. Worth taking a look at your's and Steve's suggestions.

As for other sightings in the Okavango, I've posted a few here, and quite a few bird images in the Avian Forum. This Red Lechwe image I just discovered while going through my Southern African images. It had a check mark next to it. I will post more.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

10. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sometimes it's easy to forget to change settings from shot previous to this if the scene / circumstances change rapidly.
    Hi Geoffrey, especially in Africa it's always worth having your SS quite high providing it doesn't compromise the ISO for instances like this. Minimum 1/1600 ad as the light creeps up you can increase the SS, obviously once you are 'on site' you can customise the setting for that scene, but if something 'bolts' you know you are able to capture the scene.