Thread: Northern plains grey langur ( Semnopithecus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern plains grey langur ( Semnopithecus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Image captured in the Bandhavgargh tiger reserve.

Hand held

Olympus E-M1X
    Shooting Mode : Manual
    Focal Length : 210.0mm
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 421.0mm
    Shutter : 1/200 sec
    F.No. : F4
    ISO Sensitivity : 320

LR + PSCC 2020

All comments welcome.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well he is looking right at you. Nice framing. Looks pretty comfortable on that log. Like the setting as well.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you Jon,

Could not help but smile seeing this serious little face - interesting expression, and really cute! Pose is relaxed but you certainly got his attention, love the eye contact.

Please forgive me as I still struggle to interpret your techs, so won't go there I do enjoy the content of your image and I think the shape of the log adds visual impact and helps make the 'story'. Not so sure about the square crop though, tempted to take some off the top.

Just curious, what were the lighting conditions at the time? And was the image slightly underexposed? Image quality is OK, but perhaps not a good as I am used to seeing from you - a big crop, perhaps?

Looking forward to hear from you, and thank you so much for sharing. Have a lovely week-end!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, these subject are always great to photograph and full of character.

I'm with Gabriela, the image looks dark and I don't think the choice of crop is working, too much dead space to the LHS and above.The green BKG looks a bit muddy, so overall you need more separation. I would also look to pruning the stem above the head and perhaps addressing the brighter wood on the LHS. I would also try to get some life into the eyes.

Based on the techs I don't feel you were struggling for light, so perhaps something along these lines in terms of getting some 'light' back into the frame/capture? Crop is still not there!

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, a great subject to photograph which we always ignore in pursuit of that elusive tiger. Good pose and eye contact.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Its a strange thing, when I originally prepared the image I was fairly happy. I then watched a youtube video and it influenced me so I reprocessed and prepared the version you saw. Here is a repost trying to take your comments into consideration..... How about this?

Gabriela the techs are straightforward Camera, Mode, 4/3 Focal length and 35mm (Focal length) equivalent, SS, Aperture, ISO

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Far better Jon.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Indeed you are right Jon, when it comes to video things look different. I sometimes watch Animal Planet or Nat Geo and realise how tolerant we are of those movies. Too busy following the story to worry about image quality or limbs being cut etc.

RP looks much better - thank you for taking the time. Have a lovely evening! It's Sunday night and now I have no electricity, power just went

Warnest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon .... wonder what you have found in the video , that made you change your mimd ???

Regarding the image , always fun to watch any monkey species . You captured a typical pose of this species and you managed to get all detail visible in the face , well done.
    Not too excited about the color though , but this is to most of your postings since your change . But not a big deal , and a very subjective thing , so please do not feel attacked .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon -- I am definitely with your RP here as it addresses most of the issues with your OP as mentioned above and looks good in terms of IQ as well when compared to the OP. A fun specie to photograph and very cooperative.

Nice one.

TFS !