Thread: Young harrier

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Young harrier

Attached Images Attached Images

This image is from a young female harrier morphing into an adult bird, it's fun to watch the chicks as they grow up....The young harriers are definitely less skittish than the adults and provide some cool close up opportunities

This frame was taken with my D5 and 600 E FL +TC-14E III ISO 800 f/5.6 at 1/3200sec hand held and processed with C1P hope you like it
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a pretty frame. The BG is stunning, I don't know how you could get better.
    Harrier looks great.
    Do you just use different cameras for fun or is there a reason?
    This is low ISO, what is the purpose for using the D5 vs. D500?
    Are they that close you don't need the crop sensor?
    Since the D5 and D500 are both 20mp, are the D5 images cropped to same size
    but are less pixels, is the quality as good?
    I just wonder how you decide what camera and why?
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan,

thanks for your comments

I use all the cameras to get the best results, sometimes it appears that I am getting the same shot with different cameras but the circumstances were different at the time of capture, which is what you don't see in the end result.

To understand the difference, first crop factor has nothing to do with reach, it is the pixel size that determines the reach. you can read my blog post on this topic http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blo...g-crop-factor/ for e.g. the D850 and the D500 have exactly the same reach

The D500 does has some advantages because of its smaller pixels (not crop factor) when the bird is far or small, for example when shooting kites but it quickly loses to the D5 - at any ISO - when the bird is close. The smaller pixels of the D500 struggle to deliver the same quality. The D5 AF is superior for sure and its faster continuous shooting also makes it a better choice for action. The D5 files are cleaner and sharper and can be cropped a lot more than the D500 files. (when using the right raw converter software )

The image above is 8 mega-pixel post crop or about 44% of the full frame 20-mega pixel original (shown below). I made a version that is 3000 pixels wide to show on my 4K monitor and it looks great

Name:  FF.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  234.2 KB

In short, if the birds are close D5 is MUCH better than both the D500 and the D850, no comparison and that's why it costs so much more.

The D500 is a great camera too and capable of nailing some really cool stuff, it just doesn't hold a candle to the D5 for close shots. I use my D500 when the light is good and the subject is small/far otherwise it stays home. I also use a 600 f/4 + 1.4TC 90% of the time so most of the stuff is not too far for me.

Between the D850 and the D500, I actually like the D500 a bit more, I can get 10 fps without the heavy grip plus if the birds are far I have to crop anyway so I am not using all of D850's sensor. If they are close I go back to the D5....

With Canon I has to use the 1DX series only because the AF and frame rate in the 5D series wasn't up to the job and the 7D series AF and IQ was junk (compared to my expectations) so I had to make due with one camera. With Nikon all THREE cameras are quite capable and not crippled so I have three bodies to choose from depending on what I am shooting. That's a strength of the Nikon system not quite matched by anyone else at this time.

hope this helps
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 01-23-2020 at 01:48 AM.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the information, Arash. I'm sure that in your hands you would have made a stunning shot of this fly-by using any of the three bodies (or Canon, for that matter), but this one is excellent.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet harrier shot. Great BG, pose, and detail. Catchlight is perfect. I don't think I've ever seen this transitional plumage before so that is cool. Great information above as well. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely frame, sweet light, thanks for the added info

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arash, thanks for all the info, very informative.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well this is what i always wanted to see from you. A before and after of one of your images. Always wondered how much they are cropped im sure it varies from frame to frame and how close the birds are. You never mention how much of a crop your frames are. Still killer per usual.