Thread: Eastern Whip-poor-will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eastern Whip-poor-will

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's one from a few months back of a rare visitor here in Baltimore. This Eastern Whip-poor-will was found by a birder buddy of mine and I was lucky enough to make it to the local park where it was discovered in time before it departed. Shot with my Canon 1DX Mark II and 600m f/4 IS II with the 2x Extender III. 1200mm f/8 1/80sec ISO 800. Processed in ACR and Photoshop with some curves adjustments and some cloning of a few twigs in the background. Hope you like it, thanks for looking.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I usually would never like a sleeping bird but I like this..I love the colors, and the detail on the bird.
    Maybe a bit tighter crop.
    Really nice.
    Dan Kearl

3. Thanks Anthony Barsotti thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the autumn feel. Beautiful BG. Sleeping bird looks peaceful. A bit steep, nit much you could do about that. I like the FG foliage, but I do wish it was lower to fully clear the subject's breast area (getting about one foot higher may have worked, but obviouisly likely not doable unless a step-stool was handily available!). Still, not a species we see often, nice find!

5. Thanks Anthony Barsotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like this one with the out of focus foreground and background. The overall color here is great.

7. Thanks Anthony Barsotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great colors and detail. I *love* the OOF foreground and I think it adds a lot of depth to the image. I agree with Daniel's critique re the shooting angle, but the FG goes some way in alleviating that IMO. Great work!

9. Thanks Anthony Barsotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Definitely wanted a bit higher of an angle to get rid of that foreground blur in front of the bird’s breast but that was with my tripod fully extended to 70”. I tried backing up too but to fully get rid of it I had to move so far back that I wasn’t putting enough pixels on the bird. Always that one branch that gets in the way lol