Thread: White-tail Doe

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-tail Doe

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 1/15/20 at 4:06PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Canon 500 f/4 IS USM
    ISO 800
    f4.0
    1/2500sec

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beauty of a Doe, lovely frame John. I like the light and pose from the subject. Nice head angle too.

I would reduce the blues in LR, they are a bit prominent on the back as well as nose. And perhaps deal with those HL on the neck, a tad hot IMO.

BG is great. Wonderful colours and detail is there where needed most, the eye is beautiful. Quite some SS you have there, not used to seeing this from you

Amazing what good light does to our images, not only it helps with brightness and darkness but also creates a certain mood, an atmosphere.

Lastly, nice textures as well as vibrancy - you might have pushed things a bit in PP... but it works for me

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John this does look so nice .... i am fine with the overall presentation !! Very nice quality .... one little nit , the DOF could have gone a little wider as you had room to play with the aperture .
    I see where Gabriela is coming from with her thoughts about the blues , but i am actually ok with it .
    Others might also think you can go lighter / less contrast .... and so on . Yes all is possible to portray this shot ....

Technically one of your best IMHO

TFS Andreas

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one too! I like the colours once again though I am wondering if the yellows are a little heavy perhaps. The eye is very much the centre of attention here and it is extremely well rendered. I think the light has lit the head beautifully.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi John, Gabriela, Andreas & Jon have hit the nail on the head overall and you do need to think about your techs as they do swing from one side to the other, but with practice which you seem to get a lot of, you can hone things quickly.

My initial thought was the OP was carrying too much Magenta & Vibrancy and so tweaking the WB/Tint sliders, HL's & White sliders, dropping the Vibrance & adding a hint more Saturation I think perhaps this is more in keeping, but again, just my interpretation, please chime in with your thoughts

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John & Steve ...
    The RP is very " correct " in terms of color i think . And for sure a matter of taste ..... as always when it comes to color .

It is like in the old days of film , sometimes i try to remember how that was , choosing a certain film and you knew what you get in terms of color and tone . Well almost

Here i would say .... i have Kodak Ektachrome 100 VS and Fuji Sensia or better Provia 100 as RP . I think i am very close

Cheers Andreas