Thread: Sitting Pretty!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sitting Pretty!

Attached Images Attached Images

A young male tiger watches us intently was we cautiously approach him as he rests by the dirt track in the forest.
    1DX II
    500mm II
    1/400
    f/6.3
    ISO 8000

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Absolutely 'Killer' frame Sanjeev, where have you been hiding this, it's awesome!

Framing & PoV spot on, love that gaze, just so cool. I would just drop exposure FG & BKG, give it some more Saturation (give the green of the vegetation some life) and some Luminance ie Yellow & Red in Luminance for the coat and bingo! Your call on the degree of 'richness'.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Man does this tiger have a big head or is it just me. I like the framing and the way the tiger is laying down. Looks good for that ISO. Like the head on stare too.

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh my, Sanjeev...Indeed, this is the nicest ( no, awesomest) Tiger frame I have seen from you. Superb POV. Well framed. Beautiful pose/expression from the subject. Techs spot-on.. Very nice work in the field!

What more can I say? I think Steve really enjoyed doing an RP on this one. He certainly gave more life to the subject and took this frame to another level in terms of colour and vibrance.

There's something so special about this image, aside from the obvious things - must be the little palm in the BG, spread out like a fan, much like the tail (or train) of a peacock and framing the subject so well.

I took great pleasure viewing, really looking forward to hear everyone's opinion. Well done Sanjeev

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc — This has come out very nicely . Indeed , the placement of our vehicle has allowed us for this pov. I really liked Steve’s Rp, providing that richness in the frame. But as per the lighting condition and being there at that time , I think your OP colours are pretty accurate. And hence the question , what should one keep in mind while processing an image ?

Very nice image.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

And hence the question , what should one keep in mind while processing an image ?
    It's a good question Haseeb and along with everything else in 'critiquing' an image, it's all assumptions, unless it's tech stuff where SS was too low, or not enough DoF, a massive colour cast visible, or indeed you were there with the author. In addition albeit a small one, is how do we actually review the image and is the set-up correct on our monitors? Both Jon and I have had the same brand EIZO, but even processing the same image together what he sees and what I see will always be slightly different, even when you have two monitors side bt side, there will be some slight difference, but also any ambient light, I process with no lights on, just the monitors, so the image is 'lit' by the monitor nothing else.

All I can do is take the image and make a suggestion on how to improve it within the perimeters of the OP, but again this is making assumptions and my own interpretations. To what degree they wish to apply the thoughts, if any, is down to the author and to distill what may or may not work to improve the OP via the various adjustments imparted/suggested. I've pushed it a bit here, only to highlight the changes, otherwise subtle can be missed, so if you ask me, it's probably somewhere between the two, less or more...

what should one keep in mind while processing an image ?
    To me it's very simple and the basis for any processing of a file - well exposed ie ETTR and the raw is sharp. Get the WB neutral where you have no casts and so you then have a level platform to mthen work within the Colour Management of the file and keeping all adjustments simple and not using every slider available. Process each image on it's own merits and knowing when to stop, but always have the 'capture' if you can in the back of your mind. Folk have a tendency to over complicate and always add too much Black & Contrast and so it kills all the detail, hence keeping all PP adjustments to a light touch.

If I showed you a raw file you would be staggered, it will be as flat as ditchwater, no contrast, no saturation, no sharpening just the raw data and so when I start I have the perfect platform and can be swayed by what the 'camera' thinks' so to speak.

Not sure if that explains your question, but it's a good question that everyone should ask themselves, well done I'm asking, but it is just my own take.

10. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve for the elaborate response. I agree with all you said and my take would be in between the OP and RP more towards the OP. You detailed explanation is of great help. Thanks Haseeb for asking the Q.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree Sanjeev, no one asks questions anymore and some folk don’t answer questions, but as you said, but if the responses help, great - that’s what it’s all about.

BTW and I’m reluctant to suggest it as folk can get unstuck, but using Camera Calibration in both LR & PSCC can at times work too, just to tweak things, but it is a Global adjustment that affects all RGB channels, unlike HSL. However, like all adjustments there are pro & cons and many ways to ‘skin a cat’, so ultimately it’s knowing what TOOLS will deliver the correct adjustment.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve for such a lovely answer , I am keeping the screenshot and carry it with me, to feed that piece of info in my head.

And sorry Doc for hijacking your thread of this lovely tiger image.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev, I think this is a wonderful image, I hope you don't mind but I felt compelled to join in the image modification. I have another here for your consideration.
    Your question on what to keep in mind is one I am always asking and when I make a post and someone offers an alternative - especially Steve and Andreas their version is usually visually more appealing and "accurate". You will sometimes see me say yes it looks better but that is not how it was. The answer to bare in mind I think is a personal one and it is the one that you prefer. Very often I get the colour balance a little awry or I forgot to add a little expression to the tones to make the subject stand out, sometimes I apply a very faint vignette. One point that may be of benefit for you to consider is to reflect on Steve's comment regarding his raw image - flat as a pancake or words to that effect. If you set your camera profile to Camera Neutral and reduce the contrast and saturation and shoot well to the right the jpeg on the reverse of your camera will look flat and washed out but you will be exploiting the maximum the camera can offer in terms of dynamic range. When you go into DPP or LR etc you can distribute the tones and colours to maximise impact. or of course get as close to reality if that is your intention. By adopting this approach, i.e. essentially starting form nothing and building upwards you avoid the trap of very much accepting the image downloaded where you would not necessarily appreciate it's full potential.

15. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Point well explained Jon, much appreciated .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice RP Jon.

And sorry Doc for hijacking your thread of this lovely tiger image.
    I doubt Haseeb will feel the thread has been hijacked, personally I thinks is one of the better ones where the input has been beneficial in progressing ideas for future PP and exchanges on thoughts, ideas can only help all. Raise questions guys and there is a lot you can tap into and we are all here to help one another.

Thanks Andreas & Jon for your thoughts on DPP too, and where folk can perhaps hone their skills even more with the 'nuggets', much appreciated.

18. Thanks haseeb badar, Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post