Thread: Sleepy Walrus

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sleepy Walrus

Attached Images Attached Images

The night, or day before we headed back to port we spotted a group of male walruses hauled up on spit and so at 11.30pm, yes PM, we geared up, loaded up into the zodiacs for the last time and set off. Males are far easier to get close to and making a noise is to be encouraged, in that way the hear you, know of your presence and are not startled. Yes, every 10-15m you have to crouch down, stop, wait a moment then proceed. The inquisitive walrus will occasionally pop the odd head up or two, check who you are and then go back to dozing. What you want to avoid is to startle one, as the whole group then goes...

Laying down on the shingle beach we picked our spots.

Now, according to camera Exif data this was shot at 23.56.39 and being an hour ahead this was thenshot at just before 1.00am in the morning, in the almost 24hr arctic sun, no need to change camera Brands in my book, job done.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Walrus (Odobenus rosmarus) chilling out on shingle
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 600f/4 MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/250s at f/5.6 ISO6400
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop on all three sides.
    Processed via: LRCC & PS2020

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, whoa what an unusual pose and shot! Love the flipper on the face and nice view of that eye and tusks. Details are great and the colours spot on. Nice low angle. Nice field craft getting close. T F S.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting view of this walrus. Really digging the pose here. Nice detail on the walrus as well. He looks like he doesn't want to be disturbed.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fine shot I like the walrus, super details and colour. Love the light, well done. A good idea to go in so close, it keeps drawing the viewer in.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

Great POV and such lovely pose! At first I thought "how cool, subject is indulging in a little day-dreaming" but then I read the intro carefully...interesting light indeed

Well exposed and I particularly like the framing, detail is superb. Love the visible eye and whiskers. Beautifully processed with nice colours, IQ looks very good for 6400 ISO.

Really enjoyed viewing. And hope you forgive my absence, I am really glad to be back

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Certainly an unusual pose Steve.

IQ is top notch, with fine details and lovely colours . Not an easy frame though , but glad that you managed to get the flipper, tuskas and importantly that eye even in this pose, other wise it would have been difficult to make out the face.

IQ wise this is a fine image but the pose makes it a tough one.

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I pinched a 600 to try Haseeb, it's as light as the 500 and just as easy to hold, but with a price tag of around $9,500 I'm not going to rush out and buy one.

Well exposed and I particularly like the framing, detail is superb.
    Well considering the time of day Gabriela, it's not bad and with all the knocks about Canon recently by some folk, as yet to see another 'Brand' deliver as good an image.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well considering the time of day Gabriela, it's not bad and with all the knocks about Canon recently by some folk, as yet to see another 'Brand' deliver as good an image. [/QUOTE]

Err...Nikon?
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve .... a lovely masterpiece in terms of tone & color !!! Stunning PP work .

As you said to me recently ... not every frame could be awesome , i would agree here . Somehow unusual with the pose , yes , but for me the impact is quite low. I think going in tight , could be a game changer though !!!
    Surprised to see that you used the 600 II and the SS , well done in getting the details that fine . But guess the lens can deliver even more finer details with a faster SS .

Nevertheless i love to look at the high quality output !!!

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela - no matter of kit IMHO , if treated right one will not see any difference when the result is being presented on the internet !!!!