Thread: Action Merganser..

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Action Merganser..

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the nice comments on the flying Merganser.
    Another Female Common Merganser, this one taken today at
    another small pond in my neighborhood in close in downtown Portland, Oregon.
    Any Good Eyes will see I added canvas on the right as this was the last frame in a skirmish
    sequence and almost out of the frame.
    I thought the action was about as good as it gets so I used my rudimentary skills to salvage
    this for the internet.
    D500, 500pf, f5.6, 1/1600, iso5600, HH
    2DS_7401bp2.jpg
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action shot. Very dynamic and gotta love all those water drops.
    Your canvas extension is good. The only tell tale signs are at the bottom third of the frame and few people would know if you had not told us.
    Amazing that you got the head clear of water droplets. Head is tack sharp too- not easy with these guys.
    I am jealous because your BG is so much nicer than my spot where I shoot mergies in the winter. I am going to have to come for a visit some day. You have a great spot.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful action with mega splash. Perfect pose on the merg with nice HA and raised foot. Head mostly clear of drops; I suspect you may have removed a few. Nice work on the extension. I can see a few repeats, but only because you told me to look for them. Great shot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is killer, Dan! Nice job on adding the canvas - I would've totally missed it had you not mentioned it. Great sharpness and the water droplets are just crazy good. Love the raised foot. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action! That's about a good a splash as you could get. Looks nice and sharp, and what noise issue are starting to surface are largely masked by the splash. I might be temped to turn the
    highlights down a bit, particularly on the low splash behind the bird. Clone job isn't doesn't hurt the image but doesn't help either; it is what it is.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this a lot as presented. I find myself wishing that you had had a shorter lens in your hands, maybe the 300 PF ... Why? The bird is quite stuffed into the frame.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can see why you like this one. Agree with what has already been said.