Thread: Black Rhino on the move

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Rhino on the move

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all .... throwing something different into the mix .
    This Black Rhino was slowly approaching a waterhole somewhere in southern africa .... light was sweet and very soft with a hint of warm color as the sun was hidden behind cloud cover . You can see the washed out sky in the BG .
    So i left the softness of the scene in the final image , no pushing of tone and color . The scene could be portrayed differently .... i know . But i do like it as presented . The termite mound .... is a bit unfortunate , i know

Canon EOS 1Dx
    Ef 500 IS L + 1,4 TC
    Beanbag

F 7,1 ; Iso 3200 ; 1/1600 sec ; man exp and auto iso

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2020 , slightly cropped from all sides . some gardening in the FG

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice the rhino is out in the open. Like the semi raised foot. I don't mind the mound.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's a Rhino and a white one, so what's not to like. Good you got this one out in the open.

If you did 'some' gardening then to me the mound would go too, it's just too distracting and draws the eye IMHO Andreas. OK on the overall tone, but being 'Mr Detail' I may have gone a tad pinker on the hide rather than a greenish hint, but as you like this feedback I thought I would add it in for you . You will know what I mean I'm sure.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John and Steve for your kind comments .

Mr Detail - never hold back , you know how i think about the feedback . It is important and never negative , even if being negative . Would not stay on my level , where i am staying today without it .
    Will check tonight your `pinkish vision `... when i am back home.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great to see the rhino in the open without distracting elements. Like the walking pose and the raised right foot. Good details and techs.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - This is a fine image of the Rhino, special subject so a special image.

I liked the details and soft colours. Framing works for me as presented, but agree that mound should go, it is quite distracting and I feel adds nothing to image. Those white rocks in the Bkg are catching my eye but still not a major issue and nothing you could do abt it.

This has come out nicely.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks sanjeev and Haseeb for your comments , much appreciated .

Normally i would not do such massive removal .... of image contents . Done crudely ... but for sure it does look optically better .

Haseeb - the white rocks are not distracting for me

Steve - your suggested `pinkish hide `... hope this fit your detailed eye better . I do actually like it better , thanks for the pointer

Cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hallo Andreas
    Truly a special image, thank you so much for sharing! Black rhino with the horn still attached...a rare sighting, Boetie. Also nice setting/environment, typical of the species' habitat

Techs spot on and framing is great, I also like the walking pose. Colours look good, the more 'pinkish' hide works for me very well, and the mound...err...I am glad you removed it

Nice detail on the subject's face and you brought out its features well, especially the mouth, horn, I also like those scars on the forehead. Unlike its White brother, Black Rhino is a browser so the scars are mostly due to thorns, often they are not 'battle scars'.

Overall a lovely image and I enjoyed viewing, it is sensibly and thoughtfully processed (as expected ), like everything about it. Won't ask where it was taken, I can just guess...

Hope you have a wonderful week ahead,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea