Thread: Bald Eagle Fly By

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bald Eagle Fly By

Attached Images Attached Images

First time out this year after finally having some decent weather and a little time, this is a nearby spot where bald eagles are found throughout the winter in Red Wing, Minnesota.

This guy had a fish as he flew by.

Thanks for any comments.

5D Mark IV, ISO 400, 1/1000, f. 5.6.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose and action are fantastic, but the image quality is really, really suffering from noise. How heavy a crop is this? It must represent only a fraction of the frame.

1/1000 generally isn't enough to freeze action like this. You should have been at ISO 800 to give for a shutter of 1/2000. Problem is that noise would have been twice as bad.
    Bottom line is you need a closer subject.

Also, the bird is way too high in the frame. I don't see any reason to make this a vertical crop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree the IQ has ruined this one

no way on earth a 5D4 is that noisy at ISO 400, 800 or even 1600 even if you cropped 50% out. was the original underexposed and then pulled up in post? was the original sharp? what lens were you using?

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The BG and the light are beautiful and dramatic but the IQ on the eagle is not good at all.
    Did you have to raise the exposure significantly? Is this a big crop? Eagle not tack sharp which exacerbates the IQ issues.
    I would definitely go back to this location and try again,
    Gail

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice try but I strongly suspect the image was underexposed - perhaps you were doing so to avoid blowing the whites????

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Appreciate the feedback. It was my first time shooting with the set-up. I shoot with an 800 5.6, and am awaiting the 1DX III which will be my primary camera with the 800.

Here's another from the afternoon, I think I cropped too much on the one above. Thanks for any added input.

Name:  z eagle with fish 5 edit.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  304.9 KB

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the issue may have been too much cropping perhaps; this file is larger, cropped less, and at ISO 2000, but seems a little sharper to me.

Name:  z eagle 5.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  428.4 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You've gotten some good critique above on the original image. The 2nd image looks a bit better but not killer details and some of the HLs are hot on the head. You can see some selection artifacts on the nearest wing. The 3rd image looks really noisy -- did you have to pull the shadows up a lot? It may be worth posting the original file with no edits / crop applied and see what folks have to say. TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Becker View Post
    You've gotten some good critique above on the original image. The 2nd image looks a bit better but not killer details and some of the HLs are hot on the head. You can see some selection artifacts on the nearest wing. The 3rd image looks really noisy -- did you have to pull the shadows up a lot? It may be worth posting the original file with no edits / crop applied and see what folks have to say. TFS
    Hi Alex,
    Thanks, I think it was just a matter of being a little far out, and using too much texture and clarity on PS RAW, and perhaps too much on the shadows.

This was my first time out with the 5D IV, which I'll have as a back up to the 1DX III when it arrives, so was just using it for the first time. I don't think it's the camera or lens as the lens has been great over the years.

Here's one more that I think is more clean, higher ISO at 2500 too.

Name:  z eagle fly by 9.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  404.8 KB

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here's the eagle against the sky; seems cleaner to me. 1/1000, ISO 250, with the 1.4III extender.

Name:  z eagle against sky 1.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  398.3 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The last one at 1/1000 is too slow and not sharp.. Pane 9 is the only sharp one you have posted and it is really noisy.
    A 30% crop of a D500 at iso6400 looks better than this. I can't really say if it is the camera, You don't post an out of camera
    full frame shot we be look at. If you do that, I think maybe I can help.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree it has nothing to do with cropping as Dan said

I think the main issues are the following in severity

soft focus : focus did not quite lock on the eagle in any of these shots, the RAW is soft and sharpening will just aggravate the noise.
    slow ss: 1/1000 sec is too slow for most of these and BIF in general, the bird will be soft from motion blur. I recommend at least 1/1600 sec.
    raising of the shadows: the light angle was not good, (back lit ans side lit) casting very deep shadows, these areas have no detail and will looks very noisy as you raise the exposure

With careful processing you can improve all of these a bit but at the end of the day they won't be keepers unfortunately because of poor RAW quality.

hope this helps
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 01-16-2020 at 01:53 AM.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    I agree it has nothing to do with cropping as Dan said

I think the main issues are the following in severity

soft focus : focus did not quite lock on the eagle in any of these shots, the RAW is soft and sharpening will just aggravate the noise.
    slow ss: 1/1000 sec is too slow for most of these and BIF in general, the bird will be soft from motion blur. I recommend at least 1/1600 sec.
    raising of the shadows: the light angle was not good, (back lit ans side lit) casting very deep shadows, these areas have no detail and will looks very noisy as you raise the exposure

With careful processing you can improve all of these a bit but at the end of the day they won't be keepers unfortunately because of poor RAW quality.

hope this helps
    Thanks, much appreciate the feedback.

It had nothing to do with these photos, but I actually opted today to move to Nikon. I purchased a D500 body, an 800 refurbished, and 80-400 from a private party on Artie's blog. Will have them micro adjusted next week and will be curious how it compares to the 7DII which had been my primary set-up. I couldn't pass up the price on the 800 so hopefully it won't be a bust and I can learn Nikon.

Of course I purchased the Nikon book from Artie's store too.

So as of today, I'm a Nikon guy. A little nervous jumping over, but anxious to get out with the new rig in a few weeks and go chase the owls.

Paul