Thread: European Bison head shot

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default European Bison head shot

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey folks ... this is more a demo posting ( internal of this Wildlife forum ) .... is a bout NR and sharpening of high iso images , from my POV . Not saying it is the perfect way .... still a very HIGH ISO image ... so it has its short comings !!!!
    Just again try to showcase what is possible with this kit .
    Even if the starting point was not ideal .... in terms of exposure , F stop and speed .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC
    HH

F 8 ; Iso 16000 ; 1/2500 sec ; man exp and auto Iso ; not shot in ETTR , at least not perfectly !! plenty of space on RHS of the histogram

Processed in DPP : usual exposure / tonal / WB / selective color corrections . NR ( luminance ) turned off . Sharpening turned off

PSCC 2020 : further slight local color corrections , slightly local contrast and very minor tonal correction with a ( soft light layer ) . NR with Neat Image on whole image ; just masked out some darker parts ( green channel at 25 % opacity as layer mask )Slightly sharpened on separate layer . Downsized with my script ; that includes several steps and several rounds of sharpening .

I could have done more on the tonal front .... but for illustration it is good enough , look at the amount of fine detail and the low level of noise ( at this size ) . Keep in mind it was shot in dense fog ( with long lens ) and not ideal exposed . And there is no secret in editing ....just a matter of sensitive work .

Hope this helps a tiny bit .... at least for those who use DPP and use Neat Image for NR !!

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, nice work and a good example of what can be achieved ayt the ISO. You have lots more to play with in the darks, so I would be temped to have gone for a slightly darker version and this would help in the shadow areas that show areas of noise. Colours look good, however I can see an alternative with a tad more to the LHS, it's a tad tight for my liking. DoF works and you've got to love that nose and you have maintained that gorgeous thick, shaggy, deep coat too.

Nice work.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the pose here. Nice head on portrait. Just wish for some more on the left. Great background. Nice and sharp. I could see a version a little more darker.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it simple as that! Not really understanding your application of Neat Image - did you mean you applied NI and removed it selectively with the green channel set at 25%, why was this apparent to you, I mean was it more obviously in the red and blue ???? I have not really looked very much at the use of channels I must confess I have lots to learn.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon for your comment !!!

Your question is simply answered . The Neat Image layer in PS has a layer mask attached . The layer mask contains the green channel ( set to 25% opacity ) to restrict the NR to the areas i want it . Meaning i masked out some of the darker areas , so that the effect is lowered in those areas to keep some visible noise ( for demo purposes ) .
    Hope you understand the use of luminance masks .... thats what it is !!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John and Steve for your comments , much appreciated .

For sure i could have done more on the tonal front ... thanks Steve for the demo ... but was not my goal to get the perfect picture in terms of tonality .
    For me it was about the noise and the detail .... folks should compare about the difference in noise levels and details to their own images , what can be achieved . As noise is not noise , same detail is not detail .... there are major differences resulting in fine or coarse noise/detail .
    And here i personally think i have done a pretty good job of keeping the noise fine and low , likewise the detail .

And i tell you the image was not perfect to start with , just a matter of sensitive pp work .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, This is just phenomenal, very good PP work for such a high ISO image. Thanks for sharing your tips on the workflow. Very helpful indeed. And I like the output a lot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- These are the kind of images where Andreas is written all over it. Fantastic details, even at that high iso and like Steve said you have got that lovely details in the thick coat. Blacks are slightly thin but again no problems from me as the image looks so beautiful. Appear a life like creature standing in front of me.

Beautifully done. TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sanjeev and Haseeb for your kind comments , much apprecaited .

Haseeb - as stated by myself ,left the blacks thin for noise demo purposes !!! Could have gone easily for a better tonal range .

Cheers Andreas