Thread: Arrowhead - early morning

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Arrowhead - early morning

Attached Images Attached Images

This was the first Tiger of the first days drive - the infamous Arrowhead! So, similar to Haseeb & Sanjeev's recent posting shot in the mist of the woodland she was strolling though.

Haseeb same kit as you at ISO10k.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Tiger (Panthera tigris) Arrowhead
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400 f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/800s at f/5.6 ISO10,000
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop from the top & RHS to pano
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2020

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- This is a mighty fine shot, Excellent exposure and nice techs, Loved the way you have managed to frame the head in that clean area and retained the misty feel to it. Liked the FG as well and nice colours in the coat. There is so much to like in this frame.

Well, As compared to Sanjeev's (Doc's) image, here there is some sunlight whereas in our sighting it was very dark, hence not great colours. Agree that ettr should be the right way with our sighting as the noise vanishes to a great extent, something to bring in practice while out there on the field. This image definitely shows how a good photographer with proper knowledge and use of processing skills can produce a fine image even in difficult settings.

Very well done, TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Haseeb.

I think in past posting it has highlight why ETTR is so important coupled with understanding the Histogram, do not rely on the LCD screen for colour & exposure, use it only for composition. You may find that at PP stage you may even need to darken the image, not a problem, but when working with his ISO it really can make a difference. Yes it's a pain at times because you need to keep checking, as lighting and the environment can change easily, that's the great advantage in my book with Mirrorless in having the histogram in the EVF so you see the changes instantly and you don't take your eye of the ball, wish they added THAT in the MK3!

4. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve .... not much too add from my side .
    Just great example how a misty shot might or could look !!!
    Well done . Just wish the tree on RHS was single !

Steve - think the different tiger images are not easily comparable as you had a better lighting than the others . But for sure also a matter of skills in the field and pp work

TFS Andreas

But wait i come around .. with a real example

6. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great for that ISO. The fog adds another nice element. Detail on the tiger looks pretty good as well.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good details and fine exposure, I like the natural environment. I am wondering about the orange colour in the coat again, under the ear and o the shoulder, it looks very orange to me. I noticed little things that help to enhance the presentation like the light on the trees on the left. I like it, a fine image well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, this is really nice. Good moody image with fog and atmosphere well showcased. Good composition and PP work. Nice soft colours too.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Aaaaaaaaargh, I have always deleted my misty, fog images. Not that I had many. Just didn't think anyone would like them. Wasn't sure I liked them either...
    But this his stunning, Steve. Love the delicate soft light touching the subject and those trees. Arrowhead melting into her surroundings... She is self assured, composed, walking with purpose. Sweet image Steve, so dream-like, love it, superb work
    Gabriela Plesea