Thread: Tiger - head shot

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tiger - head shot

Attached Images Attached Images

A tiger plays with a ball of grass and then sniffs at it after playing some football with his paw. Went vertical here to make a diagonal of the head and grass ball. Did some adjustments based on Andreas suggestions. Zero input sharpening and then sharpened in PS using USM. NR only to background. I always reduce NR not on subject but only BG. Selective sharpening of subject.
    1DX II
    500mm II
    1/500
    f/5.6
    ISO 10,000

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, nice head shot and I like the framing, but to me, if the FP was bang on the eye then either the lens is out and or there was some movement. I don't think sadly that more USM will improv things. There also seems to be patchy blocky areas in the fur???? IQ would be improved if you had used ETTR (did you?), plus if the ISO was a lot lower the I would have increased the DoF.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev i do like the shot , nice and tight head shot and the story with the grass ball is neat !!!
    I see where Steve is coming from with his critique ... i do partially agree . I think the blurry areas are motion blur due to slow SS , the closer the subject they become more obvious .

I would throw in another thought .... check color readings in the blacks and whites !! There is also some color noise in some areas , `large patches`of green and purple !!! I hope you have left the chrominance noise reduction in DPP on !!! And drop those oranges in DPP ....

Did you sharpen twice ... meaning in PS and then after downsizing again ? Have you used an edge mask ?

Why don't you use NR on subject ? You can or better said have to ... just in a different manner !!! Well m take . As the noise is everywhere in the frame , and noise is no detail !!!!

Just look critically yourself and try different settings ..... you must see the difference .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hmmm. I first thought the tiger was eating hay here. The tiger doesn't look as sharp as your other images. Like the in your face portrait though.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well Sanjeev, I have to conclude my old eyes are not up to scratch, the image looks just fine to me, maybe not quite as sharp as some I have seen recently but I have looked at it to enjoy it. I have also looked very critically and only after considerable time have I found areas where I might have expected detail to be present. I suspect there is more to be had, it's a case of optimal processing and bearing in mind magnification will quite simply magnify any weaknesses. In situations like these I suspect there is not a single answer but a slightly shorter lens and or faster shutter speed would be factors to consider. Regarding sharpening and NR I am sure you appreciate they are antagonistic, there is a question of optimal balance to be struck and that is specific to each image. So for me it looks good, staring at it and trying to deliberately fault it takes time, maybe it could be a little better but I think we are now becoming very critical indeed... and maybe Steve and Andreas can see faults much more readily than I can, perhaps their vision is more acute than mine..... all I can say is what I can see.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I suspect there is not a single answer but a slightly shorter lens and or faster shutter speed would be factors to consider.
    Indeed they are factors Jon, but shooting ETTR and knowing your kit is delivering sharp images are one of the first bases, the techs then follow on, but there are some basic elements that need to be right IMHO.

Jon, all I try to do is highlight points to hopefully help in moving folk on. If there are some basic tweaks to an image that has already been taken and that those adjustments can be applied in PP that moves the image to where the image needs to be and folk can implement them so that have a better image then great.

I think we are now becoming very critical indeed...
    I'm not trying to find fault as you say Jon, but if I see major issues then it would be wrong not to mention them, otherwise folk continue down a path where the same mistakes are continually made and there is no learning/development. It's always been bolstered where all I have ever wanted/strive for folk to develop/create great images. You could well be right Jon and so I will try not to be so 'analytical' and refraine doing the stuff I do off line too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can only echo Steve´s thoughts here .
    Seeing " faults" might be down to individual thinking and critically looking at the presented images. I understand not always be liked .... by all members !
    I personally try to point out things that can be improved by a different approach in processing .... i cannot change faults done during the shooting .
    But it is all the time the question .... are folks seeing " the faults" and more important are they willing to change habit and learn a different way to improve things. Well that is said from my POV , do not think it is the way .

Just an example : detail/noise always a big thing . some see just detail , i tend to look is the detail fine or more on the coarse side ??!!! You might think it is up to each individual viewer , i disagree in parts . For comparison , take two posted images for comparison into PS ( side by side ) and look at them . One should see the difference in the details , easy as some have the same kit available here . For sure one needs to take two high iso images to be fair . I would ask myself why is one " better" in terms of fine detail than the other !!!

Some have the same kit , process with the same piece of software but the results are sometimes very different !!! And i do mean that from the pure technical view , not the artistic view . Noise is noise and detail is detail , for me not a matter of taste .

Hope this helps ... and i do not want to push anyone here . Always hoping folks should think about their own and others work and be critical, with their own and others work . And hopefully we all learn from each other .

Cheers Andreas