Thread: Tiger Portrait !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tiger Portrait !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone, thank you for all your comments and suggestions to my previous post, as always much appreciated.

I had a shot in mind before this trip where I wanted a very tight portrait of the Tiger amongst the bamboos , though it didn't quite went as I wanted, but still I managed something along those lines.

Had some space on the rhs as viewed , which I cropped for a more tighter frame, slightly clipped the chin , so I cropped it more deliberately , also cropped the ears for a more deliberate looking cut.

DPP 4.8, PSCC 2020, WB, curves, selective colour, sharpening , cropping as mentioned above.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 200-400mm @ 454mm, Bean Bag.

ss 1/50, f/5.6, iso 10,000

Looking forward for all your comments and suggestions, be it of any nature.

Haseeb.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, was the file under exposed?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

No Steve, but the subject was under a dark canopy of bamboos.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, a nice tight portrait with great piercing stare from the tiger, nice details and sharpness for the high ISO and low SS and good choice in going tight. Can see noise in the eyes and mouth area though. You got the colours right. That leaf is unfortunate but I was there and nothing we could do about it. Good one.

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc — Appreciate your comments , but as far as the leaf is concerned , I framed it with it placed above the eye. I really liked it being there in the portrait as it makes another element in the image.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A most striking image Haseeb, fine details, I like the colours, my only reservation is the chin but as you said couldn't do much about that, I enjoyed viewing.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Haseeb, I'm not a fan of the crop and the partial chin for me is an issue, especially as you were shooting with a zoom, the leaf is your call. Techs also haven't been on your side, too low SS even on a bean bag and a little hesitant on the DoF as it's hard to tell on this image, but going to say ISO16K may have been a better trade off. The issue then is how to process an image at that range. Blacks are thin and the image very grainy, did you shoot ETTR here? If the file was well exposed then I do think you could get a better result even at ISO10k. Colour (albeit on the laptop) I think could also do with a tweak, maybe Andreas could add something here?

We have exchange a few emails on this and I did have a play as you know, but if we park both the leaf & colour, perhaps going to a square crop may offer another alternative.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A tight portrait for sure. I do like the square crop on Steve's version. The open mouth is nice as well. Really like the eyes on this one.

10. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Jon , Steve and John , much appreciated.

@ Steve: I like the colours in your RP but would like to keep something between the OP and RP. Crop, I would prefer from the OP as am not a fan of square crops. But definitely agree it is a difficult crop and wont fit everyone's taste.
    As I said , it was low light hence high iso and the subject was shaded and i couldn't have afforded ettr to preserve the ss and also going much higher on iso could have been an option but it would have enhanced the noise to a great extent. Personally i dont find it too grainy but all in all the situation was quite tough and had to make tough calls in that little window of opportunity.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb ... i like this one , even if there are obvious shortcomings from the technical POV . But no wonder looking at the given techs ..... very brave to shoot at 1/50 sec with that kit .
    I do understand Steve about the thoughts of the missing chin .... maybe loosing more of the top might have been better . I am 50/50 if i look at the color of your OP .... well leave it to you , sometimes a matter of taste .
    Think you have tried your best to get the shot you wanted ... in the end you must be the happy person , not others .

I like it .... with some minor tweaks , some gentle sharpening and some NR with a great tool , might be possible to make it even more pleasing .

I really enjoyed all your various tiger postings .

TFS Andreas

13. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post