Thread: The Ghost Who Walks!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Ghost Who Walks!

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,
    Here is another image from the sighting in dense fog in Bandhavgarh. The tiger emerged like a ghost from the fog. IQ may not be up to it due to high ISO and not using ETTR (as Andreas suggested in retrospect) but I liked the setting and winter environment.
    1DX II
    100-400 II
    1/2000
    f/5.6
    ISO 6400

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, I really like the concept/winter feel here and the framing, however yes IMHO the IQ has suffered, not from the IQ, or kit, but not using ETTR. With that set up you would have nailed the image, OK certainly f/7/1 may be f/8 to help not run out of DoF as the tiger walked towards you and using the right Case to allow for the Tiger to walk towards you which I have covered may times before and not going expand again. Love the direct look and the tail acting as a counter balance so to speak. Personally I might have 'knocked back' that leave/branch top left and cropped out that dark leaf top right, but just my take. I was wondering if it should go a little lighter, but you were there.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice mood to this one. There is some noise here. But who cares. I first thought vertical would have been nice. But Maybe too much white above the tiger.

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- lovely feel here and you have done quite well in retaining the foggy feel to it. You have managed a nice angle as well, you must have lowered your self quite a bit, I missed seeing you do that.

I think there is quite a lot of noise and hence IQ is a bit low. I have chekced my files with even wider view to compare noise element as i too didnt shoot ettr but still my files are a bit cleaner.

Nice one. TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev ... yeah a lovely shot of this approaching tiger . Good to see something different in terms of winter/foggy moody image ... mostly we see the `summer`images posted .
    Along with it comes the tricky part ... the technical problems and issues to focus and have the ETTR exposure for an `ideal `raw image . Well try to keep that in mind .... for future showings .
    You might know ... the file can be presented , do not want to say better , differently .

As i have seen the previous image as raw and your settings used in DPP ... i would suggest ... stay away for the `sharpness`slider and the NR . Try to use USM und look at the noise in the fuzzy areas of the image , do not amplify them with the sharpening . Do your NR in PS with Neat Image !!! Better controllable than the NR in DPP .
    I would also overthink your output sharpening , if i understood correctly , you use your sharpening globally . Use it only on the subject and the edges . Create an edge mask on the sharpened layer ( actually before you sharpen ) .
    In an image like this , i would prefer to see lesser detail , rather than noise . Because in real life , meaning dense fog , i can also see no details . Just my thought .

Nevertheless good to see such image !!!

TFS Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev, Andreas has provided some very good points in ‘general’ and ‘specific’, if you can get to grips with these and get used to shooting ETTR, overall your images will be transformed.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev you have my thoughts, I have had lots of images of tigers that look a little like this, the foggy mornings and low light just do not help one bit. We all do things differently but you may wish to consider initially determining correct colour balance/temperature and do not adjust anything else. Make sure no sharpening is applied whatsoever, that is no default sharpening at all, send the image to PS apply Neat Image (have you made NR profiles for your camera?? - really easy and valuable). Having applied Neat Image save a TIFF and if you prefer DPP take the image back to DPP and process accordingly. The trouble with DPP I don't think you can apply sharpening selectively whereas you can in LR or ACR or Capture One. I would be interested to see if there is an improvement - hope this helps.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jon .... in DPP no selective sharpening right !!! But there is a easy , but for sure clunky workaround . Just create two files in DPP ( sharpened and unsharpened ) .... both in PS , voila you can selectively sharpen !!! Not ideal though .... but possible

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hey Jon .... in DPP no selective sharpening right !!! But there is a easy , but for sure clunky workaround . Just create two files in DPP ( sharpened and unsharpened ) .... both in PS , voila you can selectively sharpen !!! Not ideal though .... but possible
    Yes double processing is not just for colours and exposure! I must admit it is a long time since I used DPP.