Thank You Posts

Default In the Bleak mid winter

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 with 1.4 iii
    f/5.6
    1/800
    ISO 1000

This is one from my time with the Red Grouse at the back end of last year. Conditions were bleak and getting to the top was impossible due to the amount of snow. There was also quite a lot of mist, and light snow blowing. I did manage a few shots including, this one out looking for any available food. Red Grouse have large 'snowshoe' feet which allows them to walk on the snow without sinking too much, as can been seen here.

I would have liked to stay longer, but conditions deteriorated quickly and I had to get out of there fast.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this. We often get fog during our snow storms and this is exactly what it looks like.
    In fact, I am enjoying our second snowstorm in 3 days. 46 cm on Monday and so far 31 cm today.
    I know you want the misty "look" but I think a little more clarity on the grouse might look good.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like a fairly accurate representation of the conditions, but a bit more contrast might help the image. I've never shot in conditions like these, so I'm not sure how you'd go about squeezing more from such a misty file!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this attempt, Will! Nice work on getting out there in tough conditions. I, too, think a shot of contrast would help this frame. Actually, looking at this image, maybe just a slightly wider crop with more vegetation would add context - the haze, mist and snow give the scene a very bleak feel. Very nice!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this one. I agree a touch more contrast could add, but I don't really mind it the way it is now either. The red in the bird and especially the eye make it really pop. Great view of the legs. Still waiting for our first real snow here. Nice title as well. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice setting here. Pretty rare to see for and snow together. Framing looks right on.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

William I like the look of this. I have many shots fog and never really knew how to adjust them. I think Dehaze in Photoshop wpould help. I see Artie uses some special recipe he has Nik 30-30 ever what that is. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that guys, much appreciated...I did add some contrast to the bird, but I wanted to try and keep it, how it looked at the time...

Will