Thread: Tigers rule!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tigers rule!

Attached Images Attached Images

Keeping up with the cool Tiger postings, this is a young male one the move. Alerted by the Sambar call, this young guy slept into 'stealth' mode, but inexperience left him hungry. I kept the SS low because I wanted movement in the paw/leg as he moved forward. It kind of worked, but went for this, however happy to post if folk want to see.

A small clean up in the BKG towards the top trim.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Tiger (Panthera tigris) stealth mode
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 100-400 f/4.5 MKII
    Exposure: 1/250s at f/5.6 ISO2500
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2020

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, a fine image of this tiger while stalking his prey. Sharp where it matters and great detail and colours. Nice walking pose and gaze.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the walking pose. The alertness of the tiger is another plus. The crop looks a little odd. Not much you could have done with that though.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The crop looks a little odd
    John what would you suggest, curious, would welcome your thoughts.

Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... a difficult one !!
    I really like the subject in the `stealth`mode without listening to your plan of capturing movement .... for movement the SS needed to be lower i think . As it stands the legs do look just slightly unsharp and you have the ground slightly motion blurred .
    Lovely saturated colors with nice depth in them , besides the normal superb tonality across the whole range . Well done and rendered .
    In an ideal world ... the tree and the leaves on LHS would not have been there . But this is a very minor thing and in fact they were there .

I would be happy if i had this one !!!!

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

OK, same techs but here is the one with more motion. Yep, agree with your assessment Andreas, just trying to throw postings in to the mix to get folk thinking, hence why I also ask John to feedback re crop to get some other POV.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Actually thanks to John and Steve .... this crop looks better . Had something similar in mind .... but forgot to include in my comment !!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi STeve -- I liked the second image better, because of that movement in the paw and framing. Your OP has good details as always and well processed , with lovely colours. Something for us to look upto.

Nice one, TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Something for us to look upto.
    Hi Haseeb, you are very kind with your words, both on and off the Forum, however we can all learn from one another and develop from our exchanges, interactions and thoughts .

All PP can be learnt in time and I personally have been playing at this for a long time and I'm still constantly learning from folk & seminars too. However and this leads to a comment both you and Sanjeev highlight on his recent posting, not using ETTR. To me this is perhaps one of the most important steps you need to undertake when shooting. Why: - simply because you will have, a well exposed image, you will maximise the full potential of data you can capture and it makes like in the PP a breeze to develop an image. You will then avoid lightening the image and or, blowing the whites etc. Now you guys may say that 99% of the times you do use ETTR, but it needs to be 100%, because that corker of an image could just be the one you skip and that's a killer for me because you work so hard in achieving them. Everyone has perhaps some of the best kit available on the market, you love to shoot and are proud to showcase the animals, the environment and your encounters, so you owe it to yourselves & your subjects to capture them in the best possible way.

All the best.

Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both images are beautifully processed, I prefer the second because of the moving paw, it just adds a little dynamism to the image. I know you will have looked several times before posting but the orange looks quite rich, so I suspect this is simply because it was